Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Life's Lessons - Appreciate the people in your life.

It took me a long time to learn about what's normal in life. I remember my early 20's as a time when I was squarely in my comfort zone and bent on making my life be as easy as possible. No discomforts, no surprises. Don't expect too much, then you won't be disappointed. Don't say too much, then people won't question (or even notice) you. Shhhh.

I had a job, a car and had moved out of home. But, speaking to people in authority or who I would put above myself was difficult - I would be a bundle of nerves - and I couldn't do it unless it was face to face and I was sure they liked and accepted me. Sometimes I acted like a confident person and that helped me face situations the real me would have floundered in. I couldn't understand why people didn't want to talk to me. I was clueless about what was required of me to be in an equal friendship. I hated using the phone (still not a fan) and couldn't talk to people if I didn't know them.

Lucky for me, I had wonderful colleagues who laughed with me and accepted me and made me feel great inside. My colleagues were so cool and "together" - at least that's how they appeared to me. I loved them, and still do. They are my friends, even though I only see them every few years. We've been in and out of touch for the last 18 years and each time we meet, it's like we worked together yesterday - you know the feeling. My memory is so bad, yet those times are etched into my brain and I can recall minute details of the things we went through together.

People change, life happens and I am grateful that we still keep in touch. But I remember who I was then and know how far I have come. Thank God you were / are a part of my life. To you and Sue, Melbourne Girl, Thankyou.

1 comment:

Melba said...

oh thank you sweetie. made me all teary.

i think you're great and i really admire you. i used to admire the way you taught back then, and how you were with the kids, i learnt alot from you about how to be a better teacher. and i admire you now, for what you are doing.

you are one of the strongest people i know.

xxx