It's going by so fast. We're already on day 4 and I feel like I've only just gotten here. Actually, the feeling changes from "I feel like I've never left" to "I feel like I've just gotten here.
Have caught up with the two friends who live here and whom I've known for a very long time. It's always interesting to compare what our lives are like now, to what we thought they'd be like. I certainly didn't imagine I'd be living in a foreign country. Then I'm sure one of my friends didn't imagine she'd be taking care of her parents full time and doing sprint car racing. It's funny how things work out.
Yesterday we went to the Science museum, Scienceworks. This is a great place for kids (and adults who just can't fathom how things work). It costs next to nothing to get in and the exhibitions are interactive, educational and great fun. The best part though was the Planetarium. My daughter wants to be a scientist when she grows up, so I thought if there was one place I should take her, it should be this one. We weren't disappointed. It was the best thing we'd seen in a long time. You lie back in your seat and watch the huge dome screen come alive with amazing images of the earth and beyond. It really does feel like you are there. My daughter's eyes couldn't open up wide enough to let it all in and the narration was regularly interrupted by a series of Wow's coming from her. The wow factor was really high though.
More interesting was that mum and dad came with me (my dad is usually content to stay at home umless the activities include 10 pin bowling or playing cards) and they thought it was wonderful.
So it was a nice day out....until daughter decided to crack the shits shortly after because her brother was teasing her. Not only did she get mad at him but at everyone else. Ugggh, she really knows how to push my buttons and they were pushed. I was cranky all the way home, knowing....knowing... I shouldn't be and that, being the parent, I should be cool calm and collected. I was eventually but not before late in the night and was helped by 2 glasses of red wine, some cheese and good company. I thought I might spiral into one of my moods but managed to cut it off by distracting myself.
So here I can acknowledge to almost ex (who doesn't read this), no it doesn't just happen around you, it happens around other people and situations too.
Day 4 - Went for an early coffee appointment with a friend and then back home to wade through my stuff and sort the keeper from the chuckers (ie do I keep it, do I chuck it). I kept the sentimental stuff I'd been hanging on to for a long time and threw out a lot more stuff. Almost ex's wedding suit and a few other things of his went the way of the charity bin. Tomorrow morning is file sorting and my lovely dad is going to shred them for me.
In the afternoon, kids had a great time at mumbo jumbo, local indoor playground with friend and her boy. Spent a blissful 3 hours chatting while kids played "somewhere over there". Very relaxing indeed. Dinner was pizza at my sister's house (the place with the lovely comfy sofa where I intend to snooze one afternoon if I get time.)
Tomorrow is Sorrento, on the Mornington peninsula, one of my favourite places in the whole world and where two of my friends still live. It's beautiful there and we'll be leaving at around ten. I've still got to get organised, can't let these things slacken off (getting organised I mean). There's still lots to do so for now, til saturday, it's cheers and goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment