Currently feeling considerably more settled than I have been the past week. It's strange because I feel like I've never been away. I thought I'd be able to come back and just get on with what I'm supposed to be doing but my mind had/ is having other plans. I've had two spiralling episodes since I've been back. Two black days in less than two weeks whereas I've been averaging about 1.5 black days per month/ 6 weeks before I left.
Almost ex would read this as a sign that I'm not doing so well. I used to disregard his theories on this and put the black days down to "just the way I'm feeling today, you bastard" but now I tend to agree with him. 2 black days this close together is not good. A sign that I'm not coping as well as I thought I would / need to.
Monday's mood was so bad I had to cancel class, with the excuse that I'm wasn't feeling well (and I wasn't). I'm lucky to be in a position where I can do that, rather than having to turn up to work and ruin everyone's day. However, when speaking to my good friend Kim, she'd noticed that I could barely get the words out straight. On top of having a black spell, I felt really shitty about having to cancel her session, and that never has a good effect on my speaking. She insisted I get out of the house and come to her place, which I did and of course it did me the world of good. I was able to go back home in a better frame of mind. A good thing too that the kids were out of the house (1 at school and 1 at after school care), as it's never a good thing for them so see their mum like that.
My question to myself was: what was the trigger? Almost ex? Yes of course. Did he do anything wrong? Probably not, but my heightened sense of victim-ness ( i know, it's probably not a word) tells me otherwise. It tells me how he is SO rude (why don't you look up from the tv/computer when you're talking to me), how inconsiderate he is (how dare you treat me like I'm this huge bother in your life you inconsiderate, I-do-everything-for-you, prick) and how I would really rather LOVE to live back in Australia and not have to tolerate each other.
Ahhhhh, so that's it, I still haven't resolved the "I don't want to be living here" thing. I don't, but I have to, for the kids. And I'd better make good of it because it will affect the kids if I don't. I can't afford (mentally) to have a hissy fit everytime I focus on the fact that I don't like living here. Our situation is just what it is and there are plenty of people who have it much worse than I do.
So after speaking with Kim, who reliably tells me that I have to stay and everything will be OK, I'm ready to work on my attitude again and get my pre-Australia strength back.
Onwards and upwards, things could be worse. Soldier on and all of that.
Cheers
2 comments:
sorry to hear this jo, but as you said to me recently "this too shall pass"
i am concerned though about the long-term effects on your health with you being in a situation where you really don't want to be, and where it's such a struggle to just cope.
sorry to be so blunt but that's the way i am. is there counselling over there? it could really help. or check out online counselling, maybe you can access an australian network????
sending you many hugs across the water. i'm sure you'll be feeling better soon, but i know it's hard.
xxxxx
Thanks Melba, I appreciate the bluntness. I agree the long term affects on my health due to stress etc are something I have considered before. In 07 one of the reasons I decided to leave was because I was feeling so toxic and I knew it wasn't good.
And of course I know, this will pass. I am starting to feel a bit better. I've just got to get myself going into the routine I had before. My students are coming on time now, I've picked up another one, planned a weekend away (though that could be stressful because it's a whole family thing).
I have thought about online counselling. There are no counsellors here, being such an out of the way town, so it's a possibility.
In the meantime, I will be OK. I've been much worse than this, so I know I can through it. Thanks for the hugs.
Post a Comment