Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sometimes I love Malaysia - not!

And sometimes I don't. I wanted to make this a positive blog, but sometimes you've just got to let it all out. When I'm having one of those I hate living in Malaysia days, things go round in my head for ages. This seems like a good place to put them. I don't like living in Malaysia because:
  • The mosquitoes - arggh, yuk, they are always around and they carry dengue.
  • It hasn't rained and it stinks - I tried running water down our outside drain to make the black smelly sludge go away and it didn't work. Please let it rain soon.
  • In Segamat, my town, there is NOTHING to do.
  • It's too hot for playgrounds in the afternoon.
  • The school system is archaic and my girl gets too tired from all the homework.
  • The drivers are atrocious - they installed traffic lights near my main corner, but does everyone take notice - noooh - they are just too important to let a set of traffic lights slow them down
  • The drivers are atrocious - they pull up on the left hand side of you to turn RIGHT, so you must look for them so you don't hit them!!!
  • Motorbikes - too many, too dangerous.
  • Nobody buckles up in the back seat - except us I might add.
  • I have to buy my fresh pork off the back of a truck or go to KL (3 hours away)
  • The potatoes here are shitty!
  • I don't have hot running water in my kitchen and my bathroom has a pissy little electric hot water system (not that we need hot water that much)!
  • Our kitchen sink, basins and showers all run out directly into the drain that surrounds the house.
  • So far this year in my kitchen I have had the following wildlife - birds, cats, rats, frogs geckos and a squirrel.
  • The Indian lady behind us is mad and takes her showers outside - where we can see her!
  • In this culture, men come first - disgusting!
  • I sweat nearly all day, making 2 - 3 showers a day a necessity.
  • Heatrash!!
  • Limp hair from the humidity.
  • The chinese language is soooo difficult to learn - for me anyway.
  • Maids / live in house helpers- it sounds good, but good ones are rare and the rest run off or steal from you, even when they've looked you straight in the eye and said "no, I'd never do that" No thanks, I'd rather not employ an indonesian maid.
  • The dirt and rubbish that litter the drains, block them up and no one cleans them. Yet where we used to live in KL, I saw countless women mopping 'outside pathways' - mopping, always bloody mopping!! " Excuse me, don't let my dirty feet ruin your nice walkway while I walk my kids to school!" Insane!
  • Hot air from split system airconditioners - no wonder it's bloody hot here!
  • There is such a thing as too cheap - pay peanuts get monkeys!
  • I need to unlock two heavy duty padlocks to get to the street.
  • Sitting at my inlaws and not understanding a word because they speak in chinese and it's not even Mandarin. My point being that even if I learned chinese, I still could not speak with them.
  • Housework is bad enough, worse when it's humid and sticky and after 5 minutes the sweat is dripping off you.
  • the black film of dirt that seems to cover almost everything outside.
  • white canvas school shoes - I wonder which genius thought this one out - my daughter school shoes go black because of the black filmy dirt so every two days I have to wash them - why not have black shoes instead - or black sandals for girls and leather lace ups for boys.
Anyway, that's my rant for today.

2 comments:

Melba said...

it's made me even hotter reading your list there, but i reckon my daughter would love your kitchen.

animals of all types are precious to her.

phoenixmummy said...

I don't mind the animals, but J is allergic to anything furry. Hence I had to get rid of the squirrel, which I did by catching in a trap and letting it go near the golf course. It was a very cute squirrel - little pointy nose and big fluffy tail. I though squirrels ate nuts, but this one loved our bananas.