Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A bit of perspective

This morning I watched Oprah, in all her 'issue-tackling' glory. I like Oprah, I've learned many things from watching the people and professionals on her show. Today's issue was car safety and featured a family who'd been in a tragic car accident, courtesy of a drunk driver. In the accident, they lost their 7 year old daughter, who'd been a flower girl at the wedding they were going home from. The little girl had been (gulp, sob) decapitated and the mother had found it (the head), picked it up and walked to the kerb to sit down and wait for help. She wouldn't leave, not without her daughter. The police eventually convinced her to hand it over so that she could go with her other daughter to the hospital. A mother's love knows no bounds, the head she was holding WAS her daughter, and she had treated it that way, holding it and talking to it...


I looked at my beautiful girl and dissolved into tears. My whole being went out to this mother, who had to live with a horror no mother or father ever should. I cannot possibly imagine how this woman is getting by, day by day. When they talked with Oprah, the mother and father told of how each day is a struggle, how it's with them constantly and how they feel like it was just yesterday when the accident happened. But as they talked about it and you could hear every member of the audience thinking, "i'm glad that's not me". I thought it too, I thought I'm so grateful to have my children with me, whole and healthy. I'm so grateful that even though my pain is real, it's not anywhere near what these people are going through. I'm grateful for my life, even being what it is. I'm grateful for my children, my family and friends, for everything I have and can do.

Read the whole story here:
http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/oprahshow1_ss_20070601/1

and now lets all count our blessings.

1 comment:

Melba said...

that's awful. so make the most of every day. every minute. it's a good thing to remember. life is scarily fragile.