Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Meeting with the Guru Besar

Guru - teacher
Besar - big

Malay is a very literal language - big teacher = the Principal and my meeting with her went well. I ended up going on Tuesday because I'd found out after I posted here that the office closes at around 5 and since I was at a friends at that time, I missed my chance to go see her.

Next morning though, I was ready. Forms and letters in hand I went to see her at 10am. Previously, she's always been nice to me, yet still I was nervous. She's nicer to me than she was to ex last year when he had to complete our daughter's education visa. She was nicer to him when she found out that he was married to me - oh, your wife is the Australian teacher, come on in, how can I help you. When he told me this I laughed, because it's usually the other way around - oh, you're married to (ex), yes I know the family, and on it goes. Fancy that, me being a useful contact for him!

So we chit chatted for a while, she asked whether my daughter was doing OK. I lied and said yes, she really likes school (she doesn't anymore). We chatted some more and I told her I was helping out at the Autistic centre. She asked if they were paying me, I said no. She seemed a little surprised. She asked about the students there, whether any of the students from the special ed class in her school were attending. I said yes, there were two and they seemed to be doing well.

Papers got signed, the letter that we need was written and I was off. And that was it. She was pleasant and ended the meeting by stating that if I ever need anything, I should come see her personally. It's certainly nice to have that offer on the table. A lot of things here are about the people you know, rather than what knowledge you have. I guess in a developing society like this one, people do business with those they trust and who come recommended by others. Likewise, I was introduced to the principal by a friend of ex's mother who is a fellow buddhist and offered to take me to meet her. I was so grateful for that first meeting because I had no idea what the schools were like here and ex wasn't doing anything with or for me then.

So that was the result of the meeting Melba, I have yet to visit the dentist! But when I do, a full report will be forthcoming, if I can see clearly to write through the pain!

2 comments:

Melba said...

thanks for that jo. glad things went well.

hope you get some relief with teeth soon.

ps why aren't you being paid for the work you're doing? would it not be nice to be paid? is that because you offered your help on a voluntary basis. maybe there are some paid jobs elsewhere, like at guru besar's school? or she might know of somewhere. maybe you could go back and see her in a few weeks and say you need a paying job, can she help you. a useful contact...

phoenixmummy said...

Melba, I'm not getting paid for the work because firstly, I offered to volunteer my time. The committee is looking at paying me for my time and expenses, but you know how committees are - very slow. And I don't have a visa to work, which if I did work for them, I would ask them to get for me. But the most important reason is that I would rather see the money spent on extra equipment and materials for the kids there. Even now, they have almost nothing to work with - just the 20 or so puzzles that were bought initially and some tables and chairs. So it seems to be an injustice to pay me when they need so much in terms of materials and equipment. Perhaps in a few months time, when I've sorted the visa thing out and they've got more stuff to help them learn, I can ask them to pay me. In the meantime my English teaching job pays and so do the students I have come to me at home.