
So tonight's classes were a group of 5 and 6 year olds and my usual group of 10 to 11 year olds. I'm teaching the younger group this week because my friend, their usual teacher is gallavanting around Italy for her holidays. I have to say, I was a little nervous about teaching this group - they don't speak as much English and so there is more potential for misunderstanding. Anyhoo, I did the best I could and started with reading them a simple story. The story I chose was "Bark, George", by Jules Feiffer, about a young puppy who can't bark because he has swallowed a cat, pig, duck and a cow. George's mother keeps asking him to bark and of course he can't, so she takes him to the vet who proceeds to pull out the aforementioned animals until he is able to bark like other dogs. George's mother is so thrilled she takes him on a walk to show him off to some people and the next time he barks he says "Hello".
It's hilarious. Really. One of the best picture story books I've ever had the pleasure of sharing with children - and I've seen lots. Children's story books are one of my passions and this one is great. The illustrations are simple, but the expressions and grimaces on George's mothers face are priceless and very real - they remind me of every mother's frustration when her children can't do something she thinks they ought to.
The kids loved it. They laughed and squealed and really 'got' the story. This is one of those stories that transcends the language barrier because the illustrations tell the story - the text is almost not needed. We read it twice and they needed no extra encouragement from me to join in and read the story the second time. Then we did role play, acting out the part of the vet who has to put on his very longest latex glove to pull out the cat, the pig, the duck and the cow. Again they laughed and squealed and had fun, but best of all, they understood the English behind it -which was the point of it after all.
The other story we read was Window, a picture story book by Jeannie Baker where the pictures do tell the story, as there are no words. Each page is a work of art - a collage made of real materials, depicting the changing views from a country house window that belongs to a young boy. The scenes change as the boy grows into a man - each picture is a snapshot of his town every two years. At 24 (and I can't believe the cat is still alive, do they live for 24 years), he moves the the country with his own family and the changing scene (from country to city) starts all over again. Just looking at and discussing the pictures (the detail is amazing) provided a great way for these kids to use their English, which is where they need the practice. They know the grammar, they have the vocab (usually) but they don't get the chance to use it enough.
I've had thoughts for a while about starting a reading and creative writing group where I use picture story books as a catalyst for a host of activities that involve using English - role play and a bit of drama, word activities related to the books, character studies, letter writing, creative writing and personal writing, but I haven't thrashed it all out yet. I don't want to start and then find I've got no material to work with 6 weeks down the track. I've also got to find the time, in my now, pretty crowded schedule.
Tonight though, has spurred me on a little. I can see it working, because tonight, the kids enjoyed themselves and we all know that when you enjoy something, it's always easier. Parents here worry that with a course like this there are no exams, no testing and no grading. But I think I'll start with a small group and let the results speak for themselves.
Oh yes, and I had fun tonight too. A class like this is great for the spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment