Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Just GO TO BED!

Enough already! Why can't kids go to bed and stay there? Why????? It's 11.15pm and we are supposed to go to KL tomorrow which means an early rising for the 3 hour drive. I said to the kids that they will be going to bed around 9.30. 9.55 - I'm hungry - here have some fruit (I know, I gave in). 10.20pm in bed but talking and it's getting louder. 10.30 Now one has a tummy ache and the other can't stop talking and moving around.

GO TO BED. My voice got louder, which of course upset them a little - and stirred them up again.

Then, while putting washing in the laundry, I kicked a frog that happened to have snuck inside. I screamed and of course the kids got up again to see what all the screaming was about. I'm usually pretty tough around the little critters that come in, but I can't stand touching them - hence the uncharacteristic screaming. I never was good with animals, though I'd like to get the kids a teeny hamster one of these days.

GO TO BED. 10.55 They need water - of course they do, all that talking and getting up again has made them thirsty. Back in bed again, it's almost 11.10pm. Up again, here mummy, take back this hot pack you gave me for my tummy ache!

Uggh. If they get up one more time, I think I'll lose it. I wish someone would tell me to go to bed. Wouldn't that be nice!

2 comments:

Melba said...

that's a thought, jo. you go to bed. pretend to be asleep (but you're not really, because you have to be responsibubble). that might make them go to sleep? but if they know you are there, doing all that stuff for them.

also, isn't even 9.30 late? i know every family is different with bedtimes, and i know overseas things can be really different, in turkey kids went to sleep when and where they dropped pretty much. people thought i was weird and uptight for making sure princess maintained her australian routine.

phoenixmummy said...

9.30 is late, I agree, but it's early here. Most of the other kids I know go to bed around 11pm or 12. When the kids are at school, my daughter starts her homework around 9.00. She has to be in bed around 10.30pm and up by 10am the next day. Sometimes though she stays awake til midnight - almost all of ex's family have this problem of getting to sleep, so I don't know if it's something I've created or if it's just her.

My boy goes to bed a bit earlier, around 9-ish, but nowadays getting to sleep around 10, sometimes 10.30. Anyhoo, I've tried the "I'm going to sleep now" with no success... they just come in anyway. It doesn't happen all the time so I'll just keep trying. In Australia though, my kids were in bed by 8.30 and asleep by 9 - and I didn't do anything different. Go figure! Even they think it's strange when we talk about it.

cheers