Monday, January 12, 2009

I feel like such a failure.

As far as my feeling go, I'm back at square one. For a very long time in our relationship, I felt like this huge failure, unable to handle the things that ex wanted, or felt like he had to say to me. To me, it felt like a constant stream of criticism, to him, it was just things that needed to be said. I don't know which one of us had the accurate perpective, and I don't care. Our past will be different to both of us, never reconciled.

Now as CNY looms not too far away, I find myself right back where I was all those years ago. I don't feel good enough, my efforts are not good enough. I can't seem to do anything right. It makes me nervous so I try harder and I make things worse. I stutter, say stupid things out of context (or so I'm told), I'm this and that and I do this and that, none of it good. He rolls his eyes and sighs and says he has to block it out. I just make his life worse. I'm left standing there, a huge blot on his life.

I feel like a child who hasn't lived up to her parents expectations. He asked me to help him with the chinese new year decorations - can you make some small ones out of the red packets so I can hang them up. I made some small lanterns, fish and shells. Easy stuff that anyone can do. I made a figure 8 that I'd seen on the internet. I thought it was OK. He sort of groaned when he saw it. He wants to light the lanterns with glow sticks - it's too hard to get the whole thing together the way he wants it. So I try to give him alternatives, try it this way, but then it won't do that blah, blah. He stuttered or mumbled like I was being so difficult and lay down on the couch and closed his eyes.

That was it for me. I left the room saying, I don't think I can do this for you, and almost dissolved into tears. It's so hard to do things for him and he says it's so hard to get me to do things for him. I never understand what he wants, though I try hard to. He can't seem to talk to me easily, what with the past baggage blocking the way. Most of the time he ends up telling me what I am, am not, what I do and don't do and my insides end up shredded. I can't be in the same room as him, when he's talking to me that way. I actually thought that I'd be able to handle it, but I was wrong - dead wrong. It took about 1 second after he started talking for me to feel like an inadequate, pathetic idiot - not that he used any of those words OR meant to make me feel that way. But I do.

I want to say to him, no! I don't want to help you because you know if I do, we'll fight, because I always do it the wrong way, or don't understand what you want. And I can't handle the things you say to me. I JUST CAN'T. So, please leave me be to stuff up my own life, to look after the kids, to make mistakes that don't affect you. Leave me alone, so I can do my own thing, with my own friends, who accept all my faults and who will ask questions of me if they don't understand what I'm talking about. Who won't tell me about how I speak or think or do things, to the point where I'm completely tangled and the only thing that calms me is a TRANQUILISER.

PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO HELP YOU. I WANT TO, I'M OBLIGATED TO, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU WANT. AND IF YOU DON'T, THE COST IS TOO HIGH.

I'm just SO tired. and the 5 chocolates I've just eaten, aren't helping. That's life, I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

Melba said...

Oh Jo. I wish I could give you a hug. I hope you're feeling better, I'm not sure when you wrote this, but I hope you're feeling better.

This is almost exactly the situation I would find myself in with my ex. The pressure of being asked to do something I didn't want to do, as well as the pressure of knowing that it would probably be wrong would reduce me to a blithering mess of a human. I couldn't think straight, I couldn't talk straight and I hated him for making me like that, and myself for allowing him to. And for reacting like that. But I was completely stripped of myself - my strength, my intelligence, my capability.

The only thing that restored me to myself was to be separate from him, so I could heal and so I could see that I was still the same person, and come back to myself.

I've said it before Jo, but isn't there any way you can live separately from him? It's just too hard and the toll it's taking is a huge price for you to pay personally for trying to play "happy families" for the sake of the children. I know I've supported you in your decision to be there and be living together but when something like this happens, it makes me question "why?"

Also, another question. Why has this all unravelled now? When you were doing so well. What's changed?

All I can suggest is trying to unpack what it is that's changed to make you feel so dreadful. The decorations are just a symptom of what's going on underneath for the two of you. Maybe next time you could steel yourself to say "you know, I'd like to help you but as we both know, it just doesn't work out how you want."

And walk out of the room.

What's going to happen? You helping him is not going to make him think kindly of you. You just set yourself up for criticism and feeling dreadful because NOTHING YOU DO WILL EVER BE RIGHT FOR HIM.

This is how controlling people control others. One of the mechanisms is criticism, and to make the other person feel that everything they do is wrong.

Not sure whether I should have emailed this, email me if you want.

xxxx

phoenixmummy said...

Oh Melba, I'm sending you hugs over the airways, for all those years ago, when you were going through the same thing. I can't believe how similar our stories are. It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one who's been through this, even though I wouldn't wish this on anybody. I wrote this yesterday and this morning I'm feeling better.

And I know it would be better to live apart, but it's not possible. We're co-dependent at the moment with things like transport, child-minding, money, visa's - all the material things. Also, he just plain refuses to see living apart as an option.

What is good is that these bad times pass. We don't let it go on the way we used to - trying to resolve the unresolvable, so by the next day, we're talking again and everything is back to 'normal'.

Your second paragraph is a mirror of how I feel and what I experience. I too hate it when I allow myself to become a blithering idiot, when I know I am strong and capable and I hate him for making me feel that way.The only time I started to feel like myself was when I came home for that 4 months. I needed that space to find myself again, to see who I was away from him.

Your question is an important one - what's changed? When I was doing so well, why has this happened? I'm still running that one through my mind and I'll blog it later.

I do know how to tackle this though. I can't help him - I'll use your words. He did give me the option of saying no and I, in my pathetic, never-ending quest for his approval, didn't take it. I'll try to keep my distance and make sure that I carry out all my responsibilities so that I can still say that I'm holding up my end of the deal.

Ekchart Tolle says we have an experience because we need to have it. Life is teaching us a lesson. So I take from this a reminder that we are wrong for each other, and we will be wrong for each other, always. Sad as that may be for the kids, it's true.