Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm thinking about trout...and other things

I've been thinking about trout - the smoked kind that us Dutch people like to eat. And of course it's gotten me to thinking about other foods I miss. Here's a list:
My mums fetta cheese and bacon omelette -she made it for me once, when I went back home for the long stay and I've never tasted anything like it.
Lamb.
BBQ chicken.
Smoked trout.
Smoked salmon.
Herrings - eaten with dad!
Apricots covered in dark chocolate - really good for you too.
Good wine, reasonably priced. The tax here on alcohol is incredible.
Good ham.
Chat potatoes.
Potato salad.
Great cheese - not blue, but anything else is good.
Fetta cheese and crackers.
Salami.
Good quality dark chocolate - eaten with my parents.
Sourdough bread.
Any good seedy, grainy bread with Philadelphia cheese. Nothing like a great bread, cheese and wine!
Gourmet pizzas.
Good sausages.
Beef burgundy pies.
Good chocolate cake.
Apple slice - ahhh, I miss the bakeries.
Snags, bread and sauce on a park BBQ - remember our BBQ's Melba, with the kids we used to teach?


I think about the food at home all the time, well, not all the time - not when I'm eating satay with lovely peanut sauce and a hot teh tarik!

But I think about it alot, which is strange, given that I didn't think the food in Australia was anything special. But it's fresh, tasty and even the simplest things can taste really good. And when it's stacked up in the grocery store or fruit market or the butcher, it just looks so good. The meat is so red and lovely, I feel like buying it all. And the chicken is a fresh pink colour and looks nice and clean. And there are no flies around it. The flies here live in the supermarkets and rubbish bins and at my brother in laws place (cos they got dogs), so it's common to see a lot of flies hanging around the produce section.

The food in Australia is easy to prepare and easy to eat. Tonight, I just couldn't face another stir fry and rice, with stir fried green vegie, which is what I normally cook. I vary the ingredients a bit, but after a while, it's starts to taste the same. Hence the chicken, chips and salad I made tonight, much to the delight of the kids. I chose chips because the potatoes here are not good, so chips it was - McCain brand, the best I could buy and they were great. Crispy, soft on the inside and just enough salt. I have times when I crave western food, but I usually just end up making a sandwich or eating a bowl of cereal, because the western food here is really disgusting. There is good western food here, but you've got to go to Malacca or KL for it and it's generally expensive.

You're probably thinking, why doesn't she just cook it.... I would, except that it's cheaper to cook chinese and I'm better at it. I'm not good at cooking western food, but when I get back, I plan to get better. I can cook chinese because ex taught me and I've been doing it for the last 15 or so years.

My kids love western food. They love my mum's cooking too, which is nice for her and them. I never have to coax them to eat her cooking. But for now, my own little attempts at western food will have to suffice. Until we get back, which I'm not supposed to talk about, but am just busting to. Control....control yourself.

That's better. Tomorrow's menu - beef stir fry with broccoli, beans with omelette and rice, of course.

Cheers.

No comments: