On Monday, school starts for the kids. It's stressing me, but I've just got to be as organised as I can, because I don't want it to be a stress for them. It's son's first year. Daughter is entering grade 3. Uniforms are ready, shoes are ready, enrollment is complete (yesterday's task). School is different here. Apart from the fact that it's a chinese school, there are other things that set it apart.
The homework. Even at this young age, the kids take home 2 - 3 hours of homework each night. I will have to coach them through 1 - 2 hours at night and then complete the rest in the morning before they go to school at 1pm. Sometimes it will be less, sometimes more. In a few weeks, they will have a weeks holiday for Chinese New Year and then attend School on the Saturdays following to make up for the missed days. As it is, the teachers have trouble getting through the enitre curriculum within the year, evidenced by the rush of homework in the last few weeks of school.
Behaviour and other standards. The students are hit with a ruler (not too hard) if they misbehave, miss homework or break some other rule. I'm not worried about my girl, but my boy is different. I worry that his extroverted personality will get him into trouble and be dampened. I know I shouldn't pre-judge, so we'll see what happens.
The toilets. They stink and clean is not a word I would use to describe them. I'm glad both my kids know how to wash their hands thoroughly.
The Teachers. They mean well, but could use a more modern approach when disciplining their charges. I don't think they are well trained in classroom management. Some are known for being late in attending their classes. leaving the kids to sit there on their own, talking loudly and running around. My daughter has often complained about the noise.
Morning and afternoon sessions. I'm lucky this year that both my kids are going in the afternoon session. The older kids attend in the morning, from 7.30 to 12.50. A few days a week, they are required to attend compulsory tuition at the school which means they could be at school for up to 10 hours or more. My daughter will have this tuition 2 days a week, I think. I hope she can cope. I will have to cope with this idea and think about the big picture ie, we are here together as a family and we will cope with this experience just like other families do. Can you tell I'm not happy with this? No, I'm not, at all.
Bags. Trolley bags to be precise. The kids here carry around all their exercise books, activity books, text books and pencils etc. Unlike Australia, each kid has their own set of books and they don't have lockers or anything to put them in. There's no room in the classrooms because there are so many kids.
Classes of 40. I think my son's class has 41 kids in it. Heartbreaking. So many kids, the teacher can only give them so much attention. When I taught in a primary school, 32 was considered high. 41. I will not dwell on this number, instead choosing to remind him that he will make many friends. He doesn't know any different anyway. Im glad he doesn't. He misses being in Australia as it is.
So that's my school gripe. I hope I can cope. I will cope, I will damn it. If I can't, they won't, so I will have to.
2 comments:
I think perhaps that kids only suffer in large classes if they need attention. Those in the middle and at the top end, amuse themselves. My Grade 6 and 7 classes were both over 40 people - and the teacher coped by putting us in positions in the room that were to her advantage for our needs... ie the ones that needed less help/assistance were at the back, and the ones with greater needs were at the front. Worked for her - I think - and me... then again, I was one of those kids up the back row.... Don't stress and all will be fine!
Thanks for visiting and commenting Cath. I'm sure he'll be fine and if he's not I'll get him a tutor. The teacher here though are largely ignorant of those who need some extra help. It's up to the parents to get the child the help they need. Part and parcel of education in a country that's still considered 'developing'. I'm one of the lucky ones. Being a teacher, I'll be able to help, or get help for my kids if they need it.
Post a Comment