Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Eve

It'll be a quiet one for us - as it always is. Friends have gone to KL for the countdown, ex is working and so we'll be at home. When I was growing up, I always had big expectations for New Years Eve - you know, going to parties when you're older, drinking, and whooping it up at midnight. However, my life was never destined for a big New Years do, so I've been largely disappointed. However, now that I've gotten older, it doesn't really matter anymore. Tonight I'm looking after the kiddies and I think we'll just have the tv on for any 'new year' kind of things. Mum's planning to ring, but that'll be about it.

I spent the day with ex cleaning the pub, buying up on party gear for tonight and making a 2009 countdown sign out of lights and a styrofoam board. I made a bell and a star for Christmas and they looked good. A white light outline of shapes secured into a styrofoam board from the back. By the end of Chinese New Year (three weeks away), I'll have quite the decorating collection. These light boards hang on the outside of the pub to attract people's attention. I don't know if they atually work, but they do look nice at night. For the 2009 sign, he'll have it outside to tell people they're celebrating and then inside later to mark midnight. I hope it goes well for him. You see, he's not the partying kind of person, more comfortable at home with a good book or an episode of Star Trek on the tv. That's why I was so surprised that he'd taken on this new job to manage a pub. However, since our 'split' he's explored lots of differentways to spend his time, his taste in music has changed and he's more 'out there'. Good for him. I do hope it goes very well for him tonight.

So, to you bunch of people who read this, I wish you and your families the best for 2009 and have a drink for me won't you. I'd like to drink it up please, with lots of wine, enough to make me forget about 'the situation' for a while, but not enough to make me vomit all over someone's shoes as they are helping me stand up! Mr Scorpio, tonight, remember not to mix your beer with red wine (now there's something I've never forgotten)!!!

Cheers and Hooray!

Happy 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of us choose to just be with the kids or wait there in the wings for them just in case it goese wrong. Every day is a blessing, remember some of us have lost more and the symbol of new beginings remids us of sad endings. My youngest would be 10 this year had she lived, and every day further away just increases my resolve to appreciate what i still have. Some times we spend too much time contemplating our losses (emotional and physical) and forget that there is still so much left and others who still need us whole. We dont forget, we just learn to cope.
I dont have to sign this do I?

phoenixmummy said...

Thanks anon, for sharing and no, you don't have to sign it. I feel for your loss, and also agree that we must focus forward. Even for a situation like mine, which is only as bad as I make it out to be, I need to be 'present' for the kids, otherwise they lose out on having there mother there for them when they need me.
Thanks again for reading.