Sunday, May 24, 2009

Positive Weekend

It's been a good weekend. As I sit here, I'm reflecting on all the good things that have happened this weekend and in the previous weeks, which I will continue to make happen.

~ Got loads of housework done - washing, floors, cleaned the stove, wiped the cupboards, and most importantly of all, got the kids room spotless - no more dust, junk or rubbish. There are clean sheets, the toys and books are organised and even under the beds is clean.

~ The kids and I had a lovely few days to ourselves while ex was away - we went to KFC (their favourite fast food) for dinner on Thursday night, then they got to come to work with me where they always ace the worksheets I give my class. Most importantly I handled the 'ex is going away' issue very well. There was little emotion attached to his going away this time. Previously I'd go to pieces when he left, recover and be normal for a few days and then go to pieces again on the day he was due back. Not this time, but that's not to say it will never happen again. It may. But I will build on this, remember it and do it again. Do what works. Keep myself busy and emotionally detached from the whole thing and I'll be fine.

~ I'm also starting to be able to interact with ex on a 'more than civil' level and not get all emotional about what our relationship is now. Previously, I'd start to think about getting back together and say to myself "look how well we're getting on now, why can't we blah, blah, blah" - but now, not so much. Being able to do this is so important to me because I want our children to see that we treat each other well and with warmth and caring - not like two robots just living in the same house and tolerating each other.

~ Exam results are in and the kids passed with C's, B's and a few A's. We're just waiting for English exam results - I'm sure they'll get A's. My son is sure he'll get 100% - I like his confidence.

~ Managed to drop into the austistic centre twice last week. I've told them I can't help out as much these days and they really are doing quite well on their own. I need the extra time to read, think, and just be. It's the exact reason I didn't want to take a job with them.

~ Have decided to fly with Emirates Airlines for our trip home after finding out that you have to pay extra for entertainment - 30 Ringgit per person and that's just for tv. Outrageous. No thanks. We need tv and entertainment and all the other things that come with an airline that provides service.

~ My old friend, whom I emailed a few weeks back has returned my emails. Nice to have new old friends.

~ My best friend from Melbourne and I talked on the phone for an hour yesterday. I joked to her that I needed at least 10 ringgit credit and a spare hour to talk to her - anything less and I don't even consider calling her because it's just not enough. The kids were good and gave me the space. She's dealing with lots of stuff too - just bought her own house, separated from her husband of a few years and now has to sort out all the co-parenting stuff as well as deal with all the 'cons' of being single - the loneliness being on the top of that list. I can relate oh so well. Had to hang up when the signal started breaking up thanks to low batteries. Next time I'll have to have a spare handy.

~ My dad continues to do well. He's getting regular exercise on the treadmill and sounds happier everytime I ring him.

~ My kids played well together all day today. They are playing a continuos imaginary game called - schools! My only concern is that they will lose some of their books, but it's a good game because my son gets to practice his chinese and it keeps them occupied for hours.

~ Got blonde foils in my hair today and I actually like it because this time my hairdresser (Teddy - that's his name) went out on limb and did a combination of blonds. I think that he's knows I'm a quite conservative person and always tones down the colour, even though I ask him not to. Last time he did foils for me, I could hardly see it. So anyway, today I like it, the light colours brighten me up a bit.

~ We finally got some gardening done on Saturday and filled a big black bag with weeds and rubbish from around the house. I was a little surprised at how much there was. We spent about 2 hours doing the garden, which is a long time, given that our garden consists of concrete and one garden bed. There were lots of weeds in the drains though, that needed to be pulled out and the garden bed is full of weeds and grass, with a little bit of vegie growing at the end. This vege is actually very good - we call it kang kong - it's a green leaf that you stir fry with some garlic, dried shrimp and soy sauce. I planted it ages ago but then it got attacked by insects and after that I didn't want to eat it, so my mom in law came and cut it all and took it home. Since then, I haven't seen it. This time I'll see if I can cut it before the insects come, because it does cook up well.

So there you have it, I feel happy-ish and reasonably settled. Ex is helping out around the house with the dishes, the ironing and washing the kids shoes, so that's a good thing and so far he hasn't had to 'pay' for it with me melting down. I've been trying really hard to just stay focused on the positives and it's paying off. I live in the present and don't let myself contemplate the future at all. It's how I need to live.

No comments: