Last night we had a storm rage around our house. The kind where the thunder and lightning don't stop and it rains so heavily that it fills up our yard. The roof and windows leak and the electricity trips in a storm like this - it's pretty full on.
We've had this kind of storm before and we three (me and kids) can cope with it nicely. We don't stress and we're not afraid of the dark or the noise. But last night during the storm, ex really got on my nerves. As soon as the lights went out, we three started to carefully edge ourselves out of my room to find the torch lights but we were greeted with a loud voice saying 'calm down, calm down, just calm down' - it was ex of course, taking control of the 'situation'. Except that we didn't need him to. I felt like he was treating me like a child along with the kids - using a loud voice, sort of demanding things - get towels, where's the torch and generally telling everyone what to do -which sort of needs to happen when things like this happen, it's just that arrogant manner that he has sometimes that pisses me off.
Now, it's probably baggage, but I have a hard time co-operating with him when he's like this. I just wish he'd give other people credibility for their skills. Other people meaning me of course. But he doesn't. We weren't stressing out, but it sure sounded like he was - it was his loud voice and his little scream of exasperation when he sat in a puddle and got his pants wet while trying to see where the water coming in from around the sink was coming from. It was his almost frantic voice that said 'here we have multiple points of failure, look at all these things on the floor, we must pick them up because we have multiple points of failure'. I don't know anyone else who talks like that, do you? Mr Scorpio, have you ever said something like that? I could see ex's point, I just would have used different words that's all. Something like, 'come on kids, lets pick up these things before the lights go out again so that no-one gets hurt'. Multiple points of failure indeed!
Later though, things returned to normal - the water receded, the rain slowed and the noise quietened. I was grateful for the rain though - my drains are once again clean and the air smells better. It's late again, so off to bed. My own sweet lovely bed which I have all to myself. It's a good thing. I'm getting there. I feel calm. I hope your lives are good. Mine is not bad.
3 comments:
I unfortunately missed your previous post.
It appears that the rain in Segamat stays mainly on your carpet?
Your description of a tropical downpour had me thinking ....Torches, I think I would be grabbing life jackets.
Shades of the Poseidon movie!
However you asked about the phrase Multiple points of failure.
I love it, it is brief and descriptive.
No I do not know anyone that would have used that phrase.
Should I be given your permission I will use his expression instead of my tired old ...Innumerable sealant malfunctions in all probability restricted to the roofing membrane.
Still as I said to my boss J’s description of the situation certainly contains distinctly cogent and persuasive observations ostensibly unencumbered by excessively emotive distractions.
She nodded and replied along the lines Oh shut up you idiot and went off to see your mum and dad.
From that I gathered that she was suffering from womens problems and therefore in no mood to discuss the weather in Malaysia.
Welcome back and enjoy life.
Multiple points of failure - it an 'ex' classic. I can see why you like it.
The rain here doesn't stay on the carpet as we don't have any - we have solid tiled floors in the living areas and horrible parquetry in the bedrooms, which leaves the rain to run all over, though it's easy to clean up. And why do you assume that when women don't understand what men say, it's because they're having women's problems. When men don't understand what women say, we don't say "oh, they're having men's problems!"!! Do we?
Ten years ago it would not have been acceptable for me to say that.
It is of course now permissible for me at my advanced age to say things like that.
Now people just nod knowingly and say that he is going senile.
Whether they are correct or not it is a marvellous advantage.
Ah yes the one advantage of being old.
Sort of like those teenage years without the fitness, memory and well I was sure there was another one or two BUT I have forgotten.
Enjoy the rain.
Any excess water send it to Oz.
Post a Comment