Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sometimes you just don't make sense

We'd finished watching a rare movie together, when ex went into the bathroom. There was a cockroach there, as there sometimes is because THE BATHROOM IS NEXT TO THE OUTSIDE DRAIN. It was my fault. I'd left the small bucket next to the toilet so the cockroach could hide in there.

Stupid me. He didn't say this, but he was thinking it. He came out from the bathroom, got the spray and went back in, killed the horrible thing and then came out again holding the small bucket. He asked me: "What do you use these for" "They are for rinsing the floor" I replied. He was a little exasperated and started on about cross-contamination and had a really bewildered look on his face that told me bookloads about what he was thinking and then said "I know this is a really stupid question but what brush do you use to wash the basin?"

He linked the cockroach, to (presumed) dirty, buckets on the floor, to me having bad cleaning habits to the possible fact that I MAY WASH THE BASIN WITH THE TOILET BRUSH. (Note, this is my interpretation of this particular scene.)

I told him there's a special brush, on the shower holder, sitting by itself, that I use, with anti-bacterial bleach product to wash the basin. He must see this brush every-fucking-day. Then I told him "No, I don't use the toilet brush" and he grunted and said oh, ok and sort of raised his hands in the air in a 'you know I had to ask' gesture.

Jesus, (pardon me INC if your reading) even I know better than that. He replied, yep it was a stupid question but the rest of his gestures and expression said "...but you know I had to ask because of who you are and some of the things you've done in the past" And here I have to admit that yes, I've let my daughter walk around with a dry toilet brush in her hand a very long time ago. So you can see why he has to ask all these stupid questions, can't you?

He ended up putting the buckets away - ON THE BENCH WHERE WE MAKE OUR BREAKFAST. IF THEY ARE ATTRACTING COCKROACHES IN THE BATHROOM, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO DO TO OUR KITCHEN BENCH!!!

Sometimes ex, you just don't make sense. Give me a little credit, drop the baggage and think about what you're doing.

Maybe then I wouldn't be so sick of living here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would hate for the fool to see how the rest of us grew up. Sorry for the outburst but I find the words hygiene and children incompatable. Yet here we all are survivors of the great unwashed. His gonads would shrivle to peas if he had been exposed to what we grew up with as kids. How do you expect children to become strong. you dont develope immunity in a bubble. This is only one tenth of what i wrote and only the polite stuff is left. Oh dear just tell me its none of my business and i will keep my opinions to myself as I am totaly ignorent of how you are getting bye.

Love Pete
PS
I just hate to hear you get picked on for such absolute trivia, in my mind I would have seen it as a deliberate attempt to start a conflict and to your credit you remained calm, better than me.

phoenixmummy said...

Calm Pete, calm and I appreciate the politeness. I used to let this sort of stuff melt me down, now i just can't afford to. He wasn't out to start a conflict, just as I never am but inevitably do. We didn't fight about it but I did go in this morning and ask him "When you were talking about cross-contamination last night, do you remember where you left those small buckets?" "Oh," he said, "yes, that was the wrong thing to do" and I said, "I just wanted to note that" and walked out. I felt like lecturing him but I didn't want to rub it in and really start a conflict and we wouldn't have seen it the same way anyway, so there was no point.

Anonymous said...

My girl you are handling yourself with a maturity that is enviable.Congratulations. I do not suffer fools easily as my wife is so fond of pointing out. You sound like you have excorsised many deamons and are ready to move on. For what its worth I am very proud of you.
Just want to give you the bigest hug right now.
Love Pete