It's been a busy week, there are so many things to write about, I don't know where to start. All day things float around in my head, waiting to be recorded, yet when the time comes to write, I find myself busy, willingly or not, with something else to do.
For me, busy is a good thing, especially here. I've caught up with most people I wanted to see and have organised the kids to start school, which they did today. New uniforms, tons of books, stationary, shoes, socks, timetables, bags, haircuts, repairs to daughter's glasses all needed my attention. Then there was the voluntary stuff - catching up with K & W for supper, meeting up with a parent to discuss how her boy is going to cope with mainstream school in a class of nearly 40 and shopping. OMG, the shopping. And I hate shopping.
I've been to the supermarket almost everyday since I got back, stocking the cupboards back to having a normal supply of food and things that I use in my attempts at cooking. Today I got a bit stressed about it all because I went out for tomato paste, bread and milk and came back with 3 more bags of groceries. I want to try out some new recipes this month, making healthy snacks and lunches so that we get more variety in our diet, so I needed to buy more stuff... flour, low fat cheese, butter (hmmm, not sounding healthy so far), eggs, spinach, sweet potato, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, flat bread, fresh vegetables and of course, I need to search out fresh, acceptable looking meat. It is becoming increasingly clear to me though that the best place to buy fish and chicken is the wet market - the very place I loathe because it looks dirty and smells. However, I'm told, the produce is fresh, especially the chickens - remember those warm ones I bought in November. Uggghh.
I did find fresh fish this week, at the supermarket. Trouble is, you have to clean it yourself - scaling and ripping out the guts etc. I'm damn lucky I used to watch my father clean fish back in the days when there was still fish in the river. Today we'd be lucky to see water in the river, never mind fish.
Anyhoo, today daughter started Grade 4, or standard 4 as it is known here. This means she goes to school in the mornings. We woke at 6am to make sure she was ready to leave at 7, to start school at 7.30. When we awoke it was still dark and I needed the lights on the car but by the time I'd gotten home, the sun had risen. It's peaceful and cool here in the mornings and it's actually one of my favourite times. There are people out exercising - a group of old ladies line dancing, a small group doing some tai chi on the golf course, and quite a few people out for a walk. By 8am, most people are back home. I can just imagine all those old ladies standing in their wet kitchens, cooking up some noodle dish for breakfast. Then they'll go out to wait for 'vegie man', the guy that comes around in a truck to sell vegetables, chicken, fish and condiments for the night's meal. Most mornings we also hear a horn sounding as another guy on motorcycle drives the streets trying to sell 'chee chong fun', a flat noodle dish eaten with sweet sauce, chilli, yam and fishball. Ex tries to buy this once or twice a week for our breakfast. It's nice, but I prefer it for lunch. I still like my jam toast and coffee for breakfast.
With such an early start to the day, I can finally hear my call to start exercising. A walk followed by some yoga or a swim would fit in perfectly with the days timetable. I'd be finished by the time my son needs to wake up and can then get on with the housework and other things. I need to take that call seriously, as I put on two kilos while I was home - as did my son (well, he put on 3) which is a good thing because he was a little underweight.
It's going to be a busy year if I take on all the requests I'm getting to teach. It's mostly for English - people want a native speaker to teach their children. I've had two more requests for classes and I'm getting at least 2 of my 3 special ed students back. Added to that is helping out the autistic centre and a friend is wanting to start a slow learners class this year - and wants me to teach it, apparently. I've also had a request from my friend to start teaching again at her centre, but this time with a slow learners group who can't seem to grasp the concept of the alphabet. I'll definitely do that class, it's just my cup of tea.
So lots of things happening. I'll take this week to get the kids and my own routine settled and begin teaching next week. Concentrate on the positive and ignore ex's remarks so that I don't have to deal with those emotions that are still, oh so raw.
Ex: has the kettle just boiled?
me: ahh, around 15 minutes ago
Ex (to himself, but loud enough so I could hear it): so it hasn't just boiled.
Me: (to myself, in my head): fuck you, next time don't ask.
Uggh.
No comments:
Post a Comment