Listening to Adam Lambert "For Your Entertainment" because this man rocks, I tell you, and I need to be happy.
Today it was the old "you have to tell me because I can't read your mind". Yes, I should have explained why we were going a different way to pick up daughter (you missed the turn-off and I didn't tell you because I thought you knew where you were going, I didn't say), but somehow I couldn't get it out fast enough. When I did say something, he didn't listen closely enough to understand and ended up getting stressed. Hence the 'terse' face, some words, and from me, some very short directions - go straight, go right here. Serves me right for thinking that he'd know where to go - we've only lived here for a short five years. Sheesh.
The thing is, I DO know where I'm going. I got to know this place I live in like the back of my hand, the choke points, the short-cuts, lane-ways, shops, etc early on after he'd said to me "you HAVE to know your way around, you HAVE to get to know this place". He said this after we'd been here a week (excuse me while I unpack and drive the children to school and shop and deal with the stress of moving, you uncompassionate prick!" I didn't say.)
Anyway, after the terse words about still not being able to read my mind, we made our way through the school throng of children and parents, picked up my daughter and by the time I'd gotten back in the car, he'd hidden his emotions or let the whole thing go. We went for a very quiet lunch, interspersed with bursts of news about Segamat.com.
Why go out together? Well, we didn't have any electricity today and have you ever been in the tropics with no fan - fucking hot, that's what. If he'd wanted to go out for lunch today, I would have wanted him to ask me along, so I asked if he wanted to get some lunch together with our daughter - not predicting that he'd need me to give him directions on how to pick up daughter from school. I really don't get this - I know he's intelligent, but then he has these things where gaps in his knowledge seemingly exist. I mean, we've been here for 5 years and this is his hometown! What gives? I don't know. Maybe, and this is an educated guess, he's treading on eggshells and doesn't want to set me off and so is holding back, letting me make all the decisions so I get to do exactly what I want to do so I don't go into a meltdown. Maybe.
Anyway, we got back from lunch and still no electricity so we just tried to put up with it. If you're moving around, it's OK because you create a breeze as you go but if you're sitting still, it's damn hot. Ex went into his room and went to sleep (don't know how he did that, but with no computer or tv, what else is there), and I tried helping daughter to do her homework. That didn't work, so we went to my in laws for a while and did the said homework there instead. Much cooler.
Now we're at home again, electricity is back, I'm cooling down, ex cooked fried rice for dinner and thinks I'm in meltdown mode because I'm in my room typing instead of joining them for dinner. I just don't feel like eating and don't really want to show my face. Daughter is behind me reading on the bed. She has the night free because, yay, she's finished her homework. I want to go out but don't want to let off alarm bells with ex about my presumed mental status, so we'll see.
Tonight I have to wash uniforms, shoes, tidy up a bit and then get to bed early-ish, so I can get up tomorrow. As the Malaysians would say in their Manglish (malaysian english) "where got time to go out lah?"
See ya.
5 comments:
He is dick and you have a very pleasant turn of phrase that makes you very readable so stop fishing I think you write very well. This blog has very many interesting and articulate turns of phrase.
make sure you let him know that you are aware that he is using to fill the gaps to make his website more readable to everyone. If he wrote all the articles only the geeks would understand it. Ha Ha
Only kidding eh
Love Pete
Three days to Argentina wwooooo hoooo
Thanks Pete, have a GREAT time in Argentina (Pete's going to ride motorcycles in Argentina), be careful of course. Is this the trip where your daughter is joining you?
Good luck and take care.
xo
Yay your daughter had a night off!!!
I feel for her, I really do.
And yer. Ex not knowing how to get to the school in his own home town? Jeez, what's that about.
The difference between what is required in Asian schools and Australian Schools is quite staggering.
I was speaking to one lass who lectures in Engineering at Melbourne Uni. this week and in reply to my question “are there any English people doing Engineering” she replied with a straight “No”.
The push, push, push, push school concept is certainly demanding. I wonder though if it sets them up for those courses in the Engineering and Science fields etc?
As far as “J” sounding off or even if there was nonverbal admonishment if and when it gets too much I wonder if it might be acceptable to simply hold up your hand in a stop motion, followed by a finger waving from side to side.
No words need to be spoken, these are universal recognised gestures and this action has worked for others.
Establishing some boundaries for "J" when he has gone too far may be required.
Best wishes to all.
Melba, he knows how to get to the school, but there are two gates and we were going past one to get to the other (granted, something we don't usually do, but had to because he'd gone the wrong way in the first place). Last year we'd pick them up at one gate and this year it's the other. I can see why he got confused, but it's the way he goes on about it that shits me. But there are other things like that that, to me, just don't make sense.
Mr S, that's interesting about the engineering course. The Chinese here push their kids so hard and a lot of them end up being doctors. lawyers, engineers etc. The pressure to get a good job and support the family later on is pretty intense in most families.
And I have put up my hand before, kind of in a stop sign gesture - I don't wave my fingers though. It stops him in his tracks. But often when I'm stressed, I forget to use it. I do however, give him the middle finger when I'm feeling particularly childish and he's not looking, but I don't really advocate that as a good or mature thing to do - sometimes I get the better of myself though.
Post a Comment