He's not a complete bastard, even though by now, you probably think he is. He did spend a lot of time on it and I was grateful - for him rewiring the modem that is. If we ever have a technical problem, as you do, ex fixes it. And he never takes the easy way out. We could have just bought another wireless router after the one we had was accidently bumped to the floor, but money is tight so he rewired the aerial. When I wasn't getting a good signal, he did it again but with a longer cable so that the aerial is now hanging closer to my room from the lantern in the hallway - about 5 metres away. It took him quite a while to do that and when I still wasn't getting a good signal, he experimented by moving my speakers away, then moving them back again to see if it improved, getting me to clean the dust off the air vents on the cpu. Then, he moved my table 20 centimetres forward, away from the wall. And woo-hoo, the signal improved by 50% and I can now browse at a decent speed, watch my beloved Adam Lambert in concert on Youtube (currently performing his GLAM NATION tour) and do all manner of things on the internet - banking, ticket hunting etc, etc.
It was my bloody table, blocking the signal as it were. I never would have thought to move the table out and away from my wireless receiver. He did. I wish I had, but I'm completely grateful for his pedantic side because it allows him to be very thorough and a really good problem solver. I hope this spills into other areas of his life right now. He looked stressed today and admitted that yes, he has a lot on his mind at the moment. The last time he said that, his best friend had dumped him.
I think this time though it has to do with his work. He's doing / finishing a site for someone. I just hope that it's new work, not old work that he's already been paid for.
Tomorrow though, he has to take the day off and drive us to KL, where he'll drop us at his aunty's condo and then go and attend to some business and then drive home from there. We'll be staying for about 5 days. It's the same holiday we had last year and it's as much for me as for the kids. The kids are really excited and for me, I'm just happy to be away for a while.
*
Today ex's mum called around with the two nephews from KL to say goodbye. The helper was with them. I like his mum but today she really annoyed me. That poor helper (she's from Cambodia) couldn't do anything right by her. I was sitting there and wondering why my stress levels were going up - I could feel myself getting annoyed and she wasn't even talking to me. But there it was - almost to the letter, she sounded like ex - but 10 times that. Now I know where he gets his "gotta tell people what they should be doing and how they should be doing it" attitude. While she was in this mode, I happened to mention that I'd like to get a new oven because the timer on mine is broken, as is the handle and the fact that it's pretty small and she told me not to be wasteful, that I didn't need to buy a new one because I could just use an outside timer - which I could I guess. It's just the way she says it that I find annoying - like I can't make a decision on my own and need her input - it's insulting - to me anyway. Another person might not take it that way. I'll never forget when I was ironing once and she came in and said "oh, I haven't shown you how to iron pants properly yet, have I" - like anyone else's (mine) way wasn't any good.Sheesh.
OK, I'll stop complaining now. She's a nice lady and she's been good to me, just that today, her attitude hit a raw nerve and I walked out of the room thinking to myself that there was no doubt about where he got his people skills from.
Cheers
4 comments:
Yes you are correct again, nobody is complete.
It can be exasperating when this sort of thing happens although I remain surprised that the signal is so susceptible to these nuances.
With the antennas on my router link it would not be feasible to extend the antenna leads closer to another part of the house because of the type of fitting.
I paid $60 here in Oz for my wireless router, almost the cost of the connections and cable to relocate both my antennas. I have one antenna for transmit the other for receiving. I would relocate the whole router into the ceiling........God I love these technical blogs!
I saw your mum again on Thursday and again I am stunned that she is walking so upright.
Yes I know it is the back brace that is “forcing” her to walk like that BUT it is such a striking difference to that few short months ago.
Perhaps I will take a 5 – 10 second movie and attempt to email it (he pondered)
While I have taken 100’s of photos and emailed them I have never handled the movie side of things with my camera. Perhaps it is easy (Question)
If I can achieve this down load you could compare the change. When you left Oz she was by all practical measures bedridden, crippled with pain and almost entirely reliant on others.
Now she is unquestionably getting around better than any time in the past 3 months, conceivably even 12 months (he questions).
Actually the more I contemplate it the more tempted I am to email you the movie. Hardly an epic mind you BUT I suspect the transformation would astounded you (he ponders again).
See with all these “almost” questions my feminine side must be showing.
Best to all.
We were both surprised that the signal could be so flaky - it's supposed to be all around, but we couldn't deny the facts. Move the table, stronger signal. Incidentally, my usb receiver thingy is directly lined up with my table top - about 4 ft long and and inch high, so if it was looking for a direct line, it would be searching through 4ft od wood. I always thought signals could go through or around those things though.
PS would love to see the movie of mum. Can you use your phone to take it? I used to use my phone to take the videos that I sent you long ago. They're smaller and more email friendly. :)
I was going to take a video on Monday when your segment of the "Gang O Three" (husband in tow) turned up.
It was "suggested" that I NOT do it as she was dressed for comfort only.
You know the various ways a suggestion can be made. She achieved it in the same way the Taliban can make suggestions.
So at this point no video “Epic”.
Cheers to all
Post a Comment