An Australian mum living in a difficult (but not abusive) domestic situation, overseas in Malaysia. My life is a roller coaster of emotion, depending upon how I happen to be coping at the time. In between rantings, whinging and learning to deal with life, I also teach kids with special learning needs and have things to say on what life is like here. It's a brutally honest blog, so proceed to read with caution.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Daily Diary - 10th Birthday
Tuesday morning started early. At 6am, all 4 of us were up with my daughter who was celebrating her 10th birthday. It made getting up easier for her, knowing we were going to give her presents before school. She's into science-y things so I got her a robot kit and her brother had chosen a secret message kit for her to use with the little science club she's formed with her friends. I also bought her an etch-a-sketch, which, surprisingly, she just loves.
I know it's cliche, but those baby and kiddie years just pass by so fast. Like all mum's, I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. She was tiny, just over 6 lbs and I was so proud of her. She didn't cry much, those first few days. In fact, I think I cried more than she did (hormones dontcha know). Today I can see how different she is from me when I was that age and yet, I can see myself all the way through her. She is shy when she's with strangers, just like me. She is a bossy big sister, just like me. She's responsible and sensible, just like me. But perhaps the most striking similarity to me that she has is her way with children. She can really get down to their level, loves to take care of them, plays with them and is not scared of their differences. She loves to help my special ed students and understands how hard it is for them to achieve what they do and is gloriously happy when they succeed. At the same time, she has a curiosity about things and life that I just never had. She likes to talk, I never did. She's not scared of trying new things and I always was. She loves maths and science and that's just not me. But as she grows and I get to know more of what is inside her mind, I love what I see. Her thoughtfulness, her way of thinking, her ability to size up a situation and make a decision quickly (so not me but all ex in this regard) and most of all her ability to see beyond herself and her own needs.
So Tuesday was a happy day. We went for lunch, just us two and then spent the afternoon together as my student had cancelled. We ate pasta for dinner and the kids came with me to my English class that night. Their Chinese tutor is the receptionist there, so they can bring their homework, hang out with some of their friends and it's like a night out for them. Afterwards, I dropped them home with ex and went out to be with my friends. She was good about me going out again.
Ex had the nerve to ask my daughter what exactly did I do on Tuesday nights, as I go out every Tuesday night and don't come back til late. I'm a bit mad that he asked, he should have asked me. Maybe I'll call him on it because it's not fair to her, though she said she didn't mind telling him and I hadn't told her not to because I don't want her to think she has to keep my 'secrets' or anything like that. She told him I go to an exercise class and when he asked what kind of exercise, she told him.
So the cat's out of the bag. I go to a modern line-dancing class with 3 other people. It's not really my thing (I'm so uncoordinated) but the thing is it gets me out of the house, we laugh and dance and burn calories, we have fun and I love watching the instructor dance. He's really very passionate about his craft. He's also really gay, which is not easy in a society as conservative as this one (where homosexuality is concerned) and so I feel a bit sorry for him (in a nice way)! He speaks with a high voice, so for Jerry Seinfeld fans, he's a high-talker. But when he clears his throat, you can hear the masculine deepness. Strange. When the global economy fell, he lost a lot of his students and now he's really struggling just to live really, so our class gives him a bit of extra support. (note to self: remember to buy him some dinner next Tuesday).
So that was Tuesday. We cha-cha'd til 11.30 and then went home, tired and sweaty, instead of going out for teh tarik like we normally do.
Happy 10th birthday to my gorgeous girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Time passes so quickly.
Memories stay (both good and bad) and for the most part we can survive on the good.
Best wishes to all.
I could not resist another post.
The dads memories of the kids are so different to the mums who are with them so much more.
I hope all mums enjoy all the memories because they deserve them.
For the Enya fans I came across this which was not the Enya I had heard.
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=Mac%20the%20knife
Thanks Mr Scorpio, for the comment and the Enya link.
Post a Comment