Thursday, September 16, 2010

Holiday in JB - part 2.

In the last episode, I was headed for the car to take the kids for a movie. We hopped into the car, and as fate would have it, turned the key and nothing happened. I looked around and spied that the LIGHTS HAD BEEN LEFT ON. It would have been easy to go ballistic but I didn't. I did get annoyed but not because the battery was flat but because of the things he said after he came down to try and get it sorted out.

This was not my fault but I apparently contributed to it because:
a) I'd distracted him when we came back from lunch by telling him that he shouldn't park in the member's area and he had to back out and park somewhere else.

b) We didn't help him by reminding him to turn the lights of in the first place. He directed this comment to our daughter and she was flabbergasted that he thought she'd know that he'd even had them on.

Sometimes he's such a hypocrite. He often used to talk to me about how I wouldn't take responsibility for my mistakes and he comes out with this. Can you see how he just doesn't make sense to me anymore? There was no apology, no admission on his part although he did come down and wait with us while trying to borrow jumper leads from the hotel security staff. I know if it had been me who'd left the lights on, I would have been apologizing like there was no tomorrow. Maybe there's nothing to apologize for, maybe that's the norm instead of someone like me who tends to over-apologise.

In the end we took a taxi to the shopping mall which although 5 minutes away, took us 20 because of the traffic jam. Mid traffic jam, opposite the mall we were supposed to go to, I paid the fare, jumped out with the kids, grabbed them both by the arm and ran the full length of the shopping mall to get to the cinema, where they let us in and we ended up only missing 5 minutes of the movie. Well I missed 10 because I was sweating so much it was fogging up my 3D glasses. No matter, it was a kids movie (Cats and Dogs - the revenge of kitty galore).

The kids enjoyed the movie and afterwards we three ate pizza for dinner. In the meantime, ex and the friend who was supposed to go to dinner with him had gone to buy a new battery and install it into the car. When we'd finished dinner, instead of continuing on with his night out, he came to pick us up instead. On the way back, we stopped at an unusual place called the Games Cafe. You sit, drink, eat and play board games, or darts, or wii or whatever you want. We went for our daughter, she loves this kind of thing. We ended up playing a fast-paced electronic version of Monopoly over wedges and cold drinks. With everyone involved, it was a good way to spend some quality time with the kids.

After we got back and got ready for bed, ex went down for drinks at the bar (alone) and I looked after the kids. I guess he needed to de-stress after the battery fiasco. After all, he did get sweaty and I think he needed to wash up twice! Heavens!

The next morning we slept late, and after a simple breakfast, went down for a swim. Breakfast was milo, crackers and biscuits for the kids, coffee and museli biscuits for me and (sliced) cake and coffee for ex in bed, because there was no room at the tiny dining table. During the swim, ex came down to join us in the pool. He doesn't like swimming much but it was like he was trying to avoid me in the pool. He doesn't realise it but sometimes his feelings about me just radiate outfrom him. I know he's embarrassed by me because I'm overweight and yet, not self conscious in my bathers (I'm a long time swimmer so maybe that explains it). He should look at himself, he's no Mr Universe. Even at 84kgs, he sports a pot belly when he's standing up. At his worst, he was 98kgs and I still loved him and never dreamed of putting him down because he was overweight. The worst I ever thought about that was "gee, you're getting a little heavy when you're on top" :) - that was it, that was my worst about his weight. I still wanted to be near him, still wanted to touch him and I accepted him.

So that was the swim. Feeling ever the burden, we packed up and went back to the room together rather than me going first, because that was a stupid idea for reasons I didn't find out about. After packing up and checking out, we went for lunch at the Golden Rain restaurant and it was yummy again. Daughter got shitty with ex because he told her that she needs to start ordering for herself, you know, learning life skills and all that and when she didn't do it fast enough, ordered for her anyway - and it ended up being a spicy dish so it was a completely inappropriate choice for her. He means well, but many times he doesn't get it right - as it is with all of us, but we don't pretend otherwise.

So that was the holiday. I think I handled it well. We had a good time, no one melted down and most importantly, the kids have some nice memories.

Phew!

No comments: