Monday, January 31, 2011

I think the worst may be over

And we're back. The river has surged and receded and the water is going back where it belongs. Houses near the river experienced rising waters of 6ft or more. There was at least 2 - 3ft of water going through most other places. The water near my place got as far as our corner service station. We were very, very lucky. And unlike most houses, we still have power because apparently we're on a different grid to our neighbours across the road. I don't know how it works, I'm just grateful.

People are slowly returning to their homes and starting the painful process of cleaning up. With my arm, I can't do much to help, but I can look after kids, so I'm doing that. My student Zhi Lin and her 2 sisters are spending the day and probably the night here while their mum organises their house. Even if she manages to clean it, the stench will be over-powering, so they can stay here the night.. All the mud and sludge, yuk.

Jin's efforts on the computer have made him somewhat of a local hero. His web site, segamat.com has been useful in allowing people to communicate about the best way to get back, what the conditions are like and so on. Constant updates and photos means people can make up their own minds about whether to come back home for chinese new year or not. He even got a mention in the Star, the national (english) newspaper . I was really chuffed for him, but to him it's no big deal, or so it seems. Funny, it's what he's always wanted for his site, for it to be a place for people in the community to come together and share. Good for him I say and perhaps some of the karma will come back to him.

It's interesting, the thoughts that come during times like this. On the website I'd posted something and then someone asked who I was and I had to tell them I was 'admin's' wife. I really struggled with how to describe myself and my connection to the site and for a tiny second, I was proud to say that I was married to him... after all, here's this clever, lovely guy keeping everyone apprised of what's happening and the photo of him and his daughter is all warm and fuzzy. Who wouldn't like that. Then it occurred to me that this is one of those situations where the outside picture is so different from from what really is... and for a brief minute my mind alternated between "oh, if only they knew our story" and "I wish we could have been happy together because he is such a nice guy" and "it must have been my fault". Still, no point going there, is it. It is what it is and there's no going back now.

OK, I'm off now. I've been made one of the admin people for the site, so better go check on that.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, South Qld gets their down pour, you cop your almost annual belting and now North Qld has their annual Cyclone (Yasi) arriving.

As a teenager I recall Brisbane getting an absolute drenching, streets flooded, homes washed away, beaches disappearing. I could not understand why they built on a flood plain.

With your flooding was it just one of those massive tropical down pours that you receive in the tropics or did it come with cyclonic winds?

A house full of people staying overnight with you. Yes that cycle repeats itself. Go back 25 - 30 years. Dutch people laying everywhere.

Clouds and silver linings, ill winds etc. I am happy that the web site went well.

Who knows what might come of that mention he received with the National Paper?

I cannot believe that he cannot make good use of that.

Best to all.