Monday, March 21, 2011

So, how are you?

I'm OK.

My crappy on again, off again can't-figure-out-the-hell-why internet connection is bugging the shit out of me, but really, I'm pretty good. The new school term has resumed and really, the kids are getting a little weary with the whole school thing. Daughter is getting braver (and more insistent) with her questions about next year. She asks what would I LIKE to happen, do I think it WILL happen one day that she gets to study in Australia. I asked her how often she thought about it. She said a LOT. I keep giving her lame, vague answers to her questions - we'll have to see what happens, I don't know yet, we live here for now, so lets concentrate on that followed by you'll get through this - even though I don't want them to have to get through this. If I was being honest, I'd say I was pretty grumpy about the whole school thing really, because I see the side that the kids don't want ex to see.

The maths teacher beat my son because he was careless. I spotted him supervising after school and really, it was all I could do to stop from poking that bastard with my umbrella. I wanted to let it go, but I couldn't. I thought that if I don't say something to him I condone his actions - and I so don't want to do that. But standing up for myself and even my kids sometimes is hard for me. I hate confrontation and would rather just walk away. I get too emotional, too self conscious (which has always been a big problem for me, just ask Mr Scorpio). But I thought it in the best interests of my son that I say something. So I folded my arms and off I went. I could practically hear the kids thinking 'please don't let mummy make a scene and embarrass us". :)

So I asked him first whether my son had a problem with maths. He does - he's very careless. Really he is. I checked his books. He borrows and carries in all sorts of wrong ways and even though he writes '+' he'll do '-' and then change halfway and finish with a '+'. And my son has a tough time admitting he has a problem. He makes up all sorts of excuses about it and then just gets so upset. He's like his mum in so many ways and on top of that, he's so emotional about it all.

So I told this teacher that I would work on his carelessness and that as a teacher myself, I'm not used to the idea that kids will get beaten for a few mistakes on their exams. I then let him know that the articles in the paper say that the government does not recommend this form of discipline and so could he understand where I was coming from. He replied yes and then we set about stating how we could help my son get better grades next time. I felt better about it and we all went home.

This week the school schedule changes again. The kids start extra classes after school - supposedly to reinforce what they've been learning in school. It's 2 hours a day, 3 days a week. So the kids are out of the house from 7am until 4pm. I see them each day at 1.20 because I will bring them lunch. If I pack their lunch in the morning, it just gets too much to carry - they'd need 3 bottles of water and 2 lunch boxes, so I'd rather take it to them and if it's hot, they can sit in the car with me and cool down. We are going to try this for a month. If it's too stressful, then I will stop it and hopefully ex will see what a stress school is here. I mean he knows it is, but he plays it down so it doesn't seem so bad to the kids. I guess that's a good idea - I do it too but I don't like it.


*

The fish have started dying off again. Everything was going so well until ex changed the water. Now 4 adult are dead and we only have 1 baby fish left. The baby is swimming around crazily in it's own tank thinking - WTF happened to everyone else - where is everyone????? I think when ex cleaned the tank, he used chlorinated water from the tap without letting it sit long enough to 'season'.

The fish are good - the kids like the fish but it's one of those things that I don't want them to get attached to because that will make the future harder. But I can't stop ex doing this. It's been a great project to share with the kids and daughter loves it, she's very involved in looking after them and thinking about what might come next - more fish, another tank... so I appreciate this for what it is as well.

*

Saw a movie - Atonement - I can't even tell you who was in it, but I loved it. Really good! Different, interesting and refreshing. Took me a while to get into it at first but I stuck with it and was glad I did. I'll watch it again soon.

*

Read a book
Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert - she of the Eat Pray Love fame. Loved this too. She's so human and life's worked out for her because she thought about stuff, she researched it and she had good things coming to her because of her courage to live an authentic life.

She writes about marriage and what it means in society to be married and what it means to people (and especially her) personally to be married. She made me think about my own marriage and why I did it when I did and what I was expecting from it and the whole living in a committed relationship deal. I can tell you now, I was not ready for either. But that's another blog post.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Monday (holiday) I had a thought, yes I agree, one of very few.

The thought was "Are there many Dutchies over there"?

I am sure there cannot be too many as all the buggers were here on Monday. (Yes pass it on to them)

Last Monday we were beset by them. Even the Dutchy from next door came over attracted by the clinking of bottles no doubt.

Too much food, too much drink a BBQ and a good deal of laughter.

Your dad and I went on Google Earth and saw where he lived in Dutchyland and he reconised the backyard of the house. Here could still even guide us to where his friend lived some 2 Klm away and remembered the street names.....amazing.

See how things come around again in life?

Keep smiling all and warm regards to all.

phoenixmummy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phoenixmummy said...

Well, I don't know of any other dutchies here in this town, but maybe I'm not the only one.

Sounds like you had a good time with the ones down your way. So how many dutchies constitute being 'beset by them'? I know of only 3, unless some of my other relatives beset you. 3's quite the crowd, no? :)

Anonymous said...

Beset as per the Scorpiopedia is

15 Carlton supporters.
10 genuine Anglo Saxons (Beer swilling Aussies)
8 From Thailand (Their chilli is great)
5 Lebanese (for reasons below)
3 Dutchies (too obvious)
2 Geelong supporters (so one can drive Pete home).
1 Collingwood supporter (to show I am not unfairly biased against grunting, knuckle dragging tattooed thugs) The men are worse!

I sent the guts of these emails to a Lebo mate who rang as I was typing this and he objected and wanted Lebos to be bumped from three to all the way up to seven.

After some discussion he agreed that five Lebos was as high as it should go in mixed company (various nationalities not sexes) but then added that “I would need to have a more consolatory approach to Lebos or I would need to make my own pizzas when I next went to his pizza shop”.

I mean really, as I pointed out to him he had a nerve ...fancy a bloody Lebo suggesting that I needed to told...!

He then gave me his list. It was interesting that while my list went from a high down to one his list started at zero and went up.

0 Jews.
0 Egyptians.
0 Collingwood supporters. (The Lebo had called me biased but said he would not bump this up)
0 Police. (Nuff said?)
1 Palestinian (until they leave Lebanon then it jumps to 1.5).
Only 2 Aussies (because they might drink alcohol.
10 MMA Cage Fighters.
And then there was a jump to
50 Lebanese Muslims or any 2011 Essendon membership holders.

Funny how the definition of a crowd can vary!