Monday, June 20, 2011

I don't agree with you

I love passion. Or rather, people who are passionate about what they do. I think it's the key to a good life. We all have our thing. Some people solve problems, some people write, still others sing or dance. Me? I teach kids who are slow to do things. That's my thing and I've known it since I was a teen. I love what I do and have never regretted getting a job in that field. I'm good at it and I know it. I'm not bragging, but know in my life what I was supposed to do here on earth.

Good things come from passion. Life happens in a good way. Passion takes us places. It gives us joy and makes life full. I feel for anyone who doesn't love their job or doesn't have a passion in life. To me, it's one of the most important things we can have. And I want my kids to have that, to love what they do.

And I think that by exposing them to a well rounded education, they have a good chance of finding whatever it is that they love in life. If they get to try lots of different things and explore the world, they're bound to find something that fills them up like no other thing can. And I'm not talking about money or love. I'm talking about stuff like building or science or the environment or kids or animals or performing. A place where they can shine and be all they were meant to be.

And that's where the difference of opinion comes in. Last night I heard him say that life skills are important. More important than education! MORE IMPORTANT THAN EDUCATION! Life skills he considers important, according to last night's conversation include doing the housework in a timely manner, logical sequencing of events, being aware of the impact of your behaviour on people, conducting yourself in a manner that won't embarrass yourself those sorts of things. Those things are also areas he considers me lacking in, so how can I teach something I don't have. He has it of course. He can do the dishes properly in 10 minutes. He knows to sweep from one end of the room to the other and not to pile the dirt where people will walk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps if some people like me can also have included in their life cycle such a thing as general "Social Skills".

I am wanting to include those interpersonal things you learn as you travel though life such as tolerance, empathy and exuding a social warmth when it comes to others.

A time and place for organisational skills that go to the nth degree are wonderful when they direct a satellite to the outer reaches of the Solar System and way less important than social skills when working with people.

Me, I am a Scorpio and still attempting to learn any part of that “black art” and socialising with some people.

Believe me I do try but some people just do not want to helped. See what I mean?

Others worse than me want to skip any tolerance or empathy and exude no social warmth when at home it seems.

If we put map reading aside I have a sneaking suspicion that the home is the greatest issue for many couples.

Using “our” vacuum cleaner is an art and a prime example. Although a good unit it pushes the air out in a dumb manner that means you need to vacuum anti clockwise to avoid pushing fluff away. Not pulling it backwards or clockwise.

Watching someone do it any other way even after I have explained in minute, exhaustive, meticulous (you get the idea) detail leaves me confused as to why they might do that even absentmindedly.

Yes there is no doubt in my ageing mind that I have not yet mastered those interpersonal household skills possessed by others.

Perhaps just saying to “ex” “look I know you probably mean well but go and practice your social skills while I finish this because that is an area where you really need to improve”.

Note ...That line above if uttered by me might be abbreviated to “Leave now and learn how to talk to people before I #*@$ knock you out”.

My social skills may occasionally let me down!

Best wishes to all as I go back to practicing my Zen techniques.

Melba said...

And how is he with his relationships, Jo? Or is it all about sweeping and doing dishes, interesting I did not know that.

Passion all the way, fuck housework.

xx

Anonymous said...

Just had a thought.
All four of you come back here, he stays at home and does the housework while also working part time.

You earn and control the money while reserving the right to nit pick as the mood suits you.

Also
I have a theory relating to a rogue gene pool and require a variety of samples.

Can you obtain from Ex either both eyes or a large piece of skin taken from the throat?

phoenixmummy said...

Life is about skills Melba, doncha know. If you don't have skills, people, your friends, will laugh at you - or so he thinks. Every skill is learnable, from eating with chopsticks (easy) to navigating a road map (not so much, especially here.)

But I'm with you, it's passion all the way.

Mr S, I would love to impart your line to him, the one about practicing his social skills, but that's definitely a boat rocker. Besides, people always comment on how nice he is to them. My friends can't believe that he's the same person I write about here.

My friends in KL however, had a different opinion. They thought he was a MCP - male chauvenist pig, after they had us over for dinner one night - and yep, my friends were not polite about him - the above is a direct quote.

And Mr S, I'm obviously one of those people who don't want to be helped, so let me help you understand people like me. The social skill you need here is 'self-reflection' and 'let it go'. Next time you feel like helping someone just ask yourself this question:

WHO DIED AND MADE YOU GOD!!!???

And if someone can't master that damn vaccuum, and you can do it the RIGHT WAY, then you should! - or buy a better one.

I'm off to write a social skills syllabus for scorpios and dragons. Should be interesting!

Anonymous said...

What interesting words....

'self-reflection' and 'let it go'.

I wonder what they mean?

It comes as no surprise that I do not understand them because I have never used them.

I might Google them for a translation.

Cheers to all.