Friday, August 12, 2011

Stand tall and regroup

We can never control what others say about us. We can only control our own inner reaction.

That's what all the spiritual self-help books will tell you. You are in control of your own reactions. Last night's talk has given me a chance to prove this little gem right. Let me tell you what happened.

We started by talking about the children's birthdays. He's leaving it to me, so nothing new there. I bought my daughter a book from the Chicken soup for the Soul series, the one titled "Girls". She loves reading those books and then talking about the stories later. We often read together, snuggled up on my bed. It's a great way to spend time together and to bond, which is so important right now. It's the perfect present and I know she'll love it. I'm also getting her a paint by numbers canvas. She's not that artistic but she does like to paint and this is one way she can do it and the results are pleasing to her. Ex has resigned himself to the fact that our son is interested in nothing else but Lego and on his trip to KL next week, will go shopping for a new set.

After we'd settled another domestic matter (closing the business, handing over the management of multiple domain names to him etc) we got onto the serious stuff.

His first question was "how do you reconcile teaching the children something you haven't mastered yourself?"

Generally he was talking about emotional control. He doesn't see it that when my emotions do go overboard, it's because the situation is extreme. Extreme situations, extreme behaviour. My normal demeanour is usually pretty calm. Specifically, he was referring to a book I had been reading with Jilian called "Being a Happy Teen" by Andrew Matthews. I bought the book in the hope that we would read it together and then go on to talk about how to control our moods (she's pretty moody at the moment, normal pre-teen angst plus I'm sure she's picking up on the tension) It's quite a good book in that it gives teens a view on what it's like to be a parent and how to be your own person and make good decisions along the way, but it's said in a very appealing way. Anyway, I told him that the things in the book were things I now believed and that I had come a long way in controlling some of my own emotions. I still read a lot of Eckhart Tolle and try to apply what I learn, to my own life. I tell the kids that sometimes I slip up and that it's hard and that I never thought I could change, but here I am. I tell my kids, without giving them the details about the struggles I've had as a person, how shy and intimidated I used to feel. I reiterated that I often have to 'live in the now' and take things for what they are rather than putting my own spin on things. I used his going out late at night as a good example of how I am able to let things be and I don't get upset anymore in that even if he is going out and drinking or whatever, that was his choice and had nothing to do with me. He didn't dispute the things I talked about and I think I did a good job of convincing him that I have some good skills in the emotional control department. His comment that "emotions are usually based on the wrong perceptions of reality" was interesting. If this was directly referring to me, he is talking about how I get emotional over things I perceive that are not there, things to do with him perhaps. Which is really ironic coming from him, he of the "i'm upset because you take an hour to put the kids to bed because you want to avoid me" school of thinking. Hmmmmmm..... I wonder how he'd react if he knew I was considering taking a life coaching course when I return home. I really am. I figure it could give me skills I don't have and equip me to help the kids later if that's the sort of help they need. Or if I like it, I could become a health and well-being life coach - maybe.

Anyway, I digress. We went on to discuss education (my concern), which he is dpoe not convinced is that important. He said most of the millionaires of the world don't have degrees anyway and people, if they want to do something, will always find a way to do it, regardless of their educational background. I can see that point of view but I still think we should give them the opportunity to experience as good an education as we can provide. Unfortunately I got a bit stuck at this point and failed to mention that the schools no longer teach maths and science in english at the secondary level, but honestly, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. He's got his mind set on the 'if people want something, they will find a way to make it happen'. This is not surprising coming from someone who taught himself C++ programming, so I can see his point, though that doesn't change my mind about wanting them to have their education in Australia. His message here is, if they want to stay, I don't need to freak out because they are not getting the education I pictured for them. And really, i know that's right. People come up from all sorts of circumstances and are successful, but I would still like them to experience school in Australia.

Other things that came up.... He has come close to asking me to leave with the kids a couple of times when he is so stressed that he doesn't think he can stand it any more. Part of me wishes he would do just that and get this whole sordid mess over with. I honestly can't say that I've done anything that I would regard as completely thoughtless, hysterical or inconsiderate, but that's just me.


He still worries about the kids learning how to do things efficiently and quickly. I drive him mad with the way I do things and on top of that I'm slow at it. It doesn't bother me, but it bothers him a great deal. He asked me how am I going to teach the kids to do things efficiently when I can't do them myself. He did mention that i've organised the kitchen and my room quite well and done a better job than he could ever have done and then said that well, he's not that worried about passing on the life skills that much. I don't have any response to this line of thinking. If I defend myself, I'm being defensive and if I don't, I'm a doormat. I can't win either way, so just let it be.

We talked about the possibility that if the kids want to stay another year, would that be an option for me too. His reply was.... interesting at best, offensive at worst. He told me thst even though I don't see it, I'm very difficult to live with. He brought up a story that I told him of when I was 20 or so and living back home after university. Mum and I had been fighting a lot and my dad pulled me aside and told me that if things didn't change, I would have to move out. He further exemplified how difficult I am by reminding me that when I broke my arm earlier this year, I seemed to think I was entitled to have people helping me and he thought I was rude and offensive to his mum. Thinking back on this, I asked him if he'd actually spoken to his mum about it and he said no, but he sees things, he sees how people react to me - OK then... I remember him telling me this while I was still recuperating, so at the time, I went and talked to his mum and she told me that I was fine, family was supposed to step in and help when needed. I never told him I talked to her but I think I am going to have to. She's a pretty open and straight talking and I believed her when she said it was ok. Maybe she was being polite, I don't know, but I thought I knew her better than that. Mind you, he's projected like this onto his family before and when I talked to them about the things that he said, they denied feeling that way. If they weren't being genuine with me, they're damn good actors.

So, is it really feasible that I stay for another year? No, actually I don't think I can. I don't want to and I don't think we'd cope very well. If I did, the whole situation would have to change to the point where we'd need to live in different houses or something along those lines. I would need to get my own visa based on me working here, rather than me being married here as it currently is. But on the whole, given how he feels about me, I think it's best for me to come home. It's what i need to do anyway, I feel it. It's time.

He said again as he was talking about me and my life skills that he's not saying it to make me feel bad. I feel bad just speaking to him, so I wish he wouldn't say that. At this point, his biggest concern is whether I will be able to teach the kids life skills... and then said that he didn't really have a problem with me teaching them life skills, not really. My educated guess says he was just putting the issue "out there" to discuss and make me aware of his concerns. However, it doesn't bring us any closer to a decision.

We concluded after an hour and a bit. I hopped into bed, wanting to write it all out, but I was just numb. I don't know why, perhaps the onslaught of "here's how bad you are, but I'm not saying it to make you feel bad" thing. So I sat with it for a while, understanding that anyone with feelings would react emotionally, or not. I knew it would pass and it did, the next day.

My heart feels so strongly that the kids should come with me, that I'm better equipped to take care of them at this point in their lives. If it's true, then we'll all end up in Melbourne next year. The kids brithday's are next week and after that, well, decisions need to be made. Just the thought of it makes me a little weak with emotion. My hands are sweaty just writing this little bit about it and I can feel my blood getting hot. If it goes the way it should, I will be ecstatically happy and sad all at once. If it doesn't, I will break and then pick myself up and get through it.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true it is that SOME millionaires are not holding degrees or multiple degrees.

How true it is that those that have studied, applied themselves and achieved a degree most often do better than those that fall by the wayside.

I do not know any Electrical Engineers that struggle financially, I am not aware of one Solicitor that is financially destitute and in the Chemical Industry no Engineer that did not start on A$80,000.

Life skills?
Can you better define “Life Skills”?
Because..........
From my perspective I agree with an education.
Education is as far as I am concerned “accelerated learning”. Without an education reading, writing, mathematics and a host of other items you cannot learn in a life time. Socialising, interpersonal relationships, teamwork and all the way down the list are skills that can also be learnt (taught) and helping the student gain in a few years those skills that may take many years otherwise.

Encarta says a skill is .....something that requires training and experience to do well, e.g. an art or trade.

It is all the more common now for those skills to receive FORMAL WRITTEN acknowledgement that you have achieved a given level.

No matter how good your legal training is the paperwork from the school AND the employer that you trained with is required for admittance to the Bar.

No one will employ a person with excellent but unofficial chemical skills as a Chemical Engineer.
No longer is a “damned good” handle on programming going to get you a job at Caterpillar without the paperwork qualification.
Teacher, Baker or lighting designer needs the paperwork.

Hope you can work those thoughts where and if appropriate into a conversation.

Cheers

cjbegg said...

um what life skills is he talking about? from where I sit I cant see that his 'life skills' have given him any advantage in life. These days education is so so important most employers wont even give you a second glance if you havent completed secondary school.Take Catherine for example. She left in year 10 and got nowhere,but after going back ,finished and although her marks were not that great she now has a great career ahead of her as a nurse.Qualifications are so important these days, why do you think so many people go back to study. Does he not want sucess for his children?

Melba said...

Jo I'm going to be blunt. I think he's going on about the life skills because he thinks it's the one area of weakness or lack that he perceives in you and can criticise you about. Note I said *he perceives.* It's bullshit though, and like others who have commented, it's more about education and love and stability than teaching a kid how to peel and cut an apple. Or be organised enough to get out of the house by a certain time.

OR conversely these 'life skills' are the only things HE thinks he has to pass on. Which is pretty sad. How are his 'life skills' btw?

xxx

phoenixmummy said...

I agree with all of you. I don't think the life skills he's talking about are more important than Education, happiness, stability or even passion. I let him talk though beause he needs to know i'm listening to his concerns. So far, he hasn't come up with any other concerns- just these few. So Melba, i think you're onto something there, i hadn't even considered that he doesn't have much else to go on, but we'll see what else may come up.

Caroline, the life skills he's talking about are things that we do everyday, but he's concerned that i don't do them well enough, particularly th emtional control part.. I think i made a short list in previous posts.

I'm going to say to him, next time we speak, that i may not be able to navigate, sequence an activity on the fly or blah blah, but i'm a damn good role model in other areas. I'm committed, loyal, hard working, articulate and practical. I'm motivated, financially responsible, a decent cook, sociable and I even know how to express my emotions. :)

Anonymous said...

but i'm a damn good role model in other areas. I'm committed, loyal, hard working, articulate and practical. I'm motivated, qualified, financially responsible, a decent cook, sociable and I even know how to express my emotions........... Now what do you believe that you can bring to the table?

“Life skills” .... is your reply likely to be “you have mentioned these before and by any common definition a quality education is essential in getting a good start”.

Have you said “finishing what you start is a fine life skill as is establishing a financial track record so I am interested in what you define as the essential parts of a life skill".

Now, further to the point MG made regarding his teaching “life skills”.

What was your reaction to that comment?

Did you listen and not comment?

Did you respond with “what you might teach them is a serious concern to me” or was your subtle response just to smile and say something like “it is more important to expose them to a wide social interaction etc etc”?

You might think you are fine in expressing your emotions Jo but I am wondering how you react when he says something patently wrong because his life skills WILL NOT include seeing your point of view here.

I will also be blunt (says a Scorpio).... I cannot see any true success in the conversations with your almost ex. I hope I am wrong!

More might be accomplished if you get him to throw up his hands and say “take them and go” and I think that stage will be reached sooner rather than later particularly if the discussion includes hard financial issues such as "how much income", "when because as you say we need time frames", "but you have said that before", "but your ideas are not working" etc.

Hope things work out for all four of you Jo.

Anonymous said...

Two quick thoughts.
Point 1.
I disagree in part with your comment "We can never control what others say about us".
I bet if I was there I could control what he said about me!

Point 2.
Because no one that has EVER lost an argument has changed their mind as a result I suspect that the only way you will get a firm resolution is to ask ....”what is the date that will suit you for the three of us to leave”?

Cheers