To hell with double standards. Who cares - life's too short to stress over it. And in the meantime, life goes on.
This week has been good. Sunday was a nice but exhausting day out. Bought the kids a marble track set which they set up with all different shaped tracks and then let the marbles go from top to bottom. They loved it.
We seem to be in a nice routine now, which is very important to me - helps keep my mind on track. In the morning I wake my son, get him breakfast and dressed and at 8.30 drive him to Kinder program. Then I usually stop at my mother-in-law's to bring her water from my house (my water is filtered and her's is not, so she uses our water for drinking and cooking) before going home for breakfast and watching Ellen Degeneres' morning talk show - makes me laugh, good start I should think. 10am tv off and it's hw and hw - housework and homework. My daughter has a lot of homwork for a 7 year old, so I coach her through it. Her dad does a great job at helping her with the chinese stuff - he speaks it but doesn't read or write it so he uses an online translator etc to help her complete her activities. 11.30 start lunch for the daughter, get the uniform ready and see her off at 12.20 - her dad does the midday pick up and drop off - and about 1.45 I get my son back and he has lunch and watches tv for an hour while I rest up and take a nap (everyone naps here during the day because of the heat).
In the afternoon i do whatever I need to do outside of home - these days it's organising plane tickets for our trip back to Australia in May, renewing the son's passport and organising my teaching schedule and classroom to start next month.
5pm, time to prepare dinner, drive sort of ex husband to golf course, pick up the daughter at 6.20 and bring them to playground or home for some outside play - bikes, gardening, that sort of thing. Then dinner, showers, reading, homework and bed at 10pm. Sounds late I know, but all the kids here go to bed late like that.
10.30 is when my social life starts - my friends here (I have 2 and they are married to each other), work in the morning and at night and don't finish til 10pm or so, so a few nights a week we catch up over supper somewhere (you can eat any time here, there's always something open) or hang out in their home office til midnight or so. Last night we were at their office cleaning up the great mosquito invasion - hundreds of mosquitoes had decided that their office would be a good place to hang out and after they had sprayed the office, the mosquitoes had collected on the floor - ewwww. The only good mosquito is a dead one - I often wonder why mosquitoes exist at all - they appear to have no function! Maybe it's Mother Nature's way of killing off a few million people per year to keep the population in check. Malaria alone is responsible for 2 million deaths a year - that doesn't include deaths from dengue, Ross River fever etc. Who knows.
Anyway, on that cheery note, I'll sign off today. Time for a nap!
2 comments:
Does this mean your daughter's school day finishes after sun down for some part of the year, or does it get dark late in Malaysia?
P.S: I've enjoyed reading through your archives, (I liked your messy mind post, I have one of those too) I'm glad I discovered your blog :-)
Hey Miz,
Gee, thanks :)! it gets dark about 7- 7.30 here, so it's more like late afternoon. Sunset time is fairly consistent here because of our geological position and there's no such thing as daylight savings.
re: my messy mind - that's how I explained my moodiness to my kids and when I tell them my mind is messy, they are unbelievably understanding and work hard to behave themselves. Kinda nice we have something in common, even though it's 'messy mind'. Ah well, that's life. Cheers.
Post a Comment