Wednesday, May 14, 2008

baking

This week I've started baking. Not being a baker at all, it seemed like a good idea when almost ex mentioned I could probably do this to fill in the time I have on the weekends. Turns out it is a good idea. I didn't think I'd enjoy it at all because I'm not the martha stuart type, spending hours in the kitchen cooking up the latest batch of who knows what.

However, after researching a few sites and recipes, I made my first lot of chocolate chip cookies and gave them to friends and relatives and the kids, of course. Got pretty good feedback which inspired me to try again. Because when you do, you learn and then you do again, I got even better results and hence, better reviews. I've learned alot about the ingredients needed and can now 'whip up a fresh batch" in less than 2 hours. Piping hot, freshly baked cookies that I can use to thank my friends, feed my kids (not too much) and when I get better, give as gifts - pretty good methinks. The feedback makes me feel good, that's probably the most rewarding part -seeing people smile at something I've made myself.

So, this weeks recipe is coffee inspired. First batch for us, second batch for the friend whose birthday is coming up and who loooooves coffee. Have been strangely happy since I took this up less than a week ago.

Good stuff.

2 comments:

Melba said...

hey you. have just caught up on all your last posts i've missed.

jo, i just love the way you write and i love your honesty. i really admire you for being so strong and being so questioning, and so aware.

and i'm looking forward to hearing from you and catching up when you're here!! didn't realise it was so soon.

same mobile but different home no. you call me.

xxxx

phoenixmummy said...

Melba, thanks for the kind words. My writing just what comes out of my head. I'm just glad it's got a place to go now, thanks to you for recommending blogging as a thing to do.

I'll call you during the first week. I think I still have your number.