Saturday was unusual. We had the usual stuff going on, like piano lessons, lunch afterwards at our favourite cafe, then walking around the shops to have a squiz at anything new, maybe buy a couple of things, grocery shopping and what have you. But it was unusual because instead of the 3 of us (me and the kids) we had a fourth - almost ex.
It was strange because he almost never comes with us on these trips to town. It's usually just too stressful for him and he's said that we embarrass him (in particular, me, the way I dress and the fact that I'm overweight and the kids with the way they behave. He doesn't cope well when the kids spill food or tantrum out in public, not that they do it a lot, but it does happen. I prefer going it alone with me and the kids because I can't handle his stress levels.
So there we were, the four of us, being a 'normal' family. And at one of the shops, he's purchased some glow sticks for the kids - you bend these things to make the chemicals mix and they glow in the dark. So that night at home, instead of going to his room, he gave some glow sticks to the kids, turned off the lights and played his current selection of techno-hip hop remix music (which I can't usually stand because it just sounds like noise that a teenager would listen to).
So there we were again, the four of us and our glow sticks, making patterns and pretty lights and the kids dancing in the dark. Strange? A little. Fun? Yes, the kids had a good time and I think almost-ex did too, playing with the kids and showing them something new. A family memory? Definitely. What ever it was, it was good to see him being involved in our lives, on our terms, without getting too stressed.
No comments:
Post a Comment