Recently on TV (I do watch a lot) I saw an Oprah show on positive thinking and how it can lead people to a better life.
The theory is that you think of the things you want (peace, Australia, second car, money etc), place them firmly in the mind and the positive energy that you give out about these things will make them come true.
Now, I'm an atheist and don't believe in a higher power as such. But there have been instance in my life where I've been thinking of something or someone and bang!, it's happened. For example, 3 times in a row when I was shopping in KL (different shopping centres) I'd been thinking of these friends who I would have like to have seen when I was there. I'd been thinking of them on and off during the morning and lo and behold, we ended up running into each other. My sis said that it's just coincidence and it probably is - but 3 times!!
When I asked her whether she believed it or not, she basically said yes. Does positive thinking bring about the changes you want to make in your life. She said "How can it not!"
Anyway, what do other people think. Has anyone had positive changes come about because of the way they were thinking?
The other issue that this Oprah episode brought up was that if you desperately want something (anything) it won't come to you because of the negative energy that surrounds the desperation. I can really relate to this - if I want something from ex, I will cry, rage, say all the things I know he wants to hear (right or not) til he gives me what I want. After he stopped doing that, (ie stopped buying into the BPD behaviour) things got worse and when I realised it wasn't any use, I tried to - sometimes unsuccessfully - stop doing it. This is the same as kids throwing tantrums.
So if I just stay stable and keep in my mind what I want for me and the kids, does it have a better chance of coming true, as opposed to literally fighting for what I want and resenting those around me when it doesn't happen. So can positive thinking lead me to a better life? In my sis's words, how can it not? Something to ponder.
1 comment:
Have you read or seen the secret. The rosacrucians believe in the same theory. I have studied some of there beliefs and found them to have some validity. They believe that a person can affect their surroundings and actions by their thoughts. Example the wish to see someone promts your subconcious to guide you into areas where that person would perhaps be located or frequent? Not always so simple but you get the general idea.
Cousen_Pete
Post a Comment