a ride in a zebra-striped safari jeep is the highlight of the month. Today, after much co-ordinating and planning about dinner and golf and marketing for the pub, ex ditched those plans and decided to take the kids to the playground. The playground is situated within the country club, right next to the air strip, which is used on and off for various things, and it's all about a minutes drive from my house.
The airstrip is usually used as a jogging track and cycle area and my favourite memory of this place is from two months back when we were teaching son to ride his bike there without training wheels. There he was pedalling along when we realised that he was headed straight for the old aeroplane that has been standing there for god-knows-how-long (like, years!). Except this time the aeroplane had been moved onto the strip and IT WAS MOVING - towards my son, who is fairly clueless when it comes to noticing the things that go on around him. So there we were, yelling at him to turn, stop, do whatever, and the thing is still moving. We knew that it wouldn't be moving very fast, because the engines are dead, but still... Anway, we eventually caught up with him and turned him in the right direction, while the plane did actually come to a stop shortly after that.
The same people that were moving the plane on that day, were there again today as part of a field trip from the Subang Flying Club, or whatever they call themselves. Subang is just outside of KL. The leaders of the pack were a couple of German guys, so I found myself in the rare position of not being the only orang putih (white person) at the club today. After some hello's and chit chat (ie. what are you doing HERE????) and after hearing my son loudly exclaim, "gee, I wish I could ride in that car cos I like the stripes", they very generously took us for a ride up and down the airstrip. Son was delighted to be able to stand up in the front, looking over the windshield, with me in the passenger seat hanging onto him while the daughter and ex sat in the back part, where it was a little tamer, but still lots of fun for her. In the meantime, there were lots of smiles, wind in the hair, chit chat (god I hate small talk, I'm just no good at it), handshakes and thankyous. A pleasant little interlude that we'll talk about right up until Christmas when the next exciting thing will happen (presents).
Well that's just too much excitement for one day so it's time for bed now. It's 1.30 and time to try and make myself fall asleep so I don't end up on the couch all day tomorrow pretending to take care of the kids when I'm really catching up on the sleep I should have gotten the night before.
No comments:
Post a Comment