Saturday, February 14, 2009

the lives of my family

What would life be without the dramas that children bring?

Last night my daughter was happy that she'd gotten most of her homework done. This morning she was frantic and tired because she still had some to do and was feeling too sleepy to do it. Then she panicked because she couldn't find one of her science books and apparently her science teacher is all too enthusiastic about handing out a 'beating' (smack on the hand with a ruler) for misbehaviours such as this. I never show it to her but I don't like the system here. They do good things to and the kids are learning, but the fundamentals just seem wrong to me - the handing out of useless homework (her english this week was to copy "may I come too?" 5 times in her exercise book. There's no room for deviation - good or bad - so if a child is better than the rest, she's held back to their level, and if a child is really slow, she's left behind. It's not fair for any of them. And the discipline policy definately needs a look at. I saw a teacher going around the assembly hall with a rotan (cane), smacking wayward students. I tell you, if she'd come near my boy or girl, words would have been had. But it's accepted here. Not one parent will stand up and say, "I think this needs to be changed". They all say, "well, that's the way it is". It's not right. Children like my daughter shouldn't be afraid to go to school because they've made a mistake. My daughter works hard, she's more organised than most adults and she's smart. She shouldn't be punished, none of them should, for making a mistake like losing a book. And of course, in the midst of all the panic, those words came out, words I never wanted her to say "I hate school!" Of course, that just makes me want to wisk her away and plonk her right in the midst of one of our lovely, fun, panic free schools. Maybe then, her tummy wouldn't ache and her neck wouldn't hurt her. Sigh!!!!!!!!!

I'm dazed today. Dazed from too little sleep, doing the job parents do best - looking after sick and vomiting kiddies at night. He seems to be on the mend now, my son, after a night where he literally vomited while he was asleep. I was so glad at that time that I'd given in to his request to sleep in my room because, he said, he had a sore tummy and a sore neck. The thing is, the sore tummy thing had been going on all week (true or not, I don't know) so I really was just giving in to him because it had gone on so long. I'm glad I did or he would have ended up sleeping in his own puke, poor kid. As it was, every 2 hours he'd wake, vomit and go back to sleep and I stayed awake to keep an eye on him and clean up. Good thing by then I had buckets and towels at the ready.

After daughter got safely to school, son and I slept and watched tv, content to take the afternoon off. Later, I found myself running a slight fever and I hate cooking when I'm not well (and don't think I should have to, so planned to buy dinner after getting daughter from school. Ex had also slept for the afternoon, having come in from work and a night out at 7am. I do worry when he comes in so late. At 5.45, ex awoke with a start saying he still had to go our and clean the pub up so he left for a while, picked up daughter from school, came back and then thankfully offered to go and get dinner for us.

After dinner, son seemed to be well again, after getting a fever in the afternoon. He'll sleep in my bed again tonight, just to make sure he's OK. Now, as I'm writing this, ex has left for work, still very tired. I told him to take care of himself and I meant it. He'll be OK. The kids are watching Bolt on dvd and I'm letting them stay up because tomorrow is Sunday, when we can all sleep in. In the background, I can hear the last call for prayers at a nearby mosque.

Time to recover some more from what seems like a fairly frantic week. So goodnight to anybody who does read this. I hope you are safe and well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no thoughts or sage advise to give you only rest assured in the knowledge that we all go thru the same trials and when we get through them we are stronger for the knowledge that they can be overcome. Kids get ill fact of life. Love Pete