Yesterday was good day. It started with our morning walk which was nice. We walked, chatted, daughter ran, I lifted my little weights while walking. It was all good. After it though, daughter and I decided we'd get some fruit for breakfast - mangoes and bananas. However, upon reaching the fruit stall, I realised that I'd lost the 50 ringgit I'd packed into my bum bag. I thought I must have either dropped it when I went to put my keys in my bum bag or I hadn't packed it in the first place. So I was swearing to myself (nothing too serious), with daughter looking on when she said this:
"Mummy, you always tell me that we can't change the past right? So, now, we can't change this. You've lost the 50 ringgit, so you just need to move on, right. Just move on mummy, it's OK."
Me (slightly stunned and amused): "You're right sweetie, let's just go home." At the same time, I was thinking that I should message my friends to see if they'd come across a RM50 note in the car park, but thought of my daughter's words and just let it go. I would just have to be more careful next time.
She's so practical and it's good to know that she listens to the stuff we talk about. No point holding onto the past is there? Noooo - ironic coming from me, someone who's held onto the past with such a tight grip that it's been difficult to let it go, even when I wanted to.
Later that night, when I turned up to teach at my friend's English centre, she asked me if I'd dropped anything that day. Sheepishly I told her that I had in fact, dropped a 50 somewhere during our walk and was now kicking myself because I'd been so careless. As it turned out, they'd found it laying in between the cars and figured that because it wasn't theirs, it must have been mine.
So I got my 50 back and took my lovely friend for supper after our classes, where we talked about all manner of things. It's nice to have friends, isn't it?
1 comment:
this was a lovely post, jo. this is why i'm sure you will be fine because you can notice all these things and then tell the story to us. it reminds us to, about what's important in life.
once, years ago, when princess was 4, we were in england. i was trying to parallel park the car, i was getting frustrated and from the back seat she said "mummy, just relax, you can do it, don't worry."
it stopped me in my tracks, made me think "yes, she's right, don't stress about something like this" and i turned, said thank you, and continued to park the car without rushing it.
often over the years, i found i have learnt a lot from her. kids have a lot of wisdom to share, we just need to have our ears open.
x
Post a Comment