Monday, June 1, 2009

So how are things going for you?

Simple question, yes? No. I was trying to gauge whether ex was stressed out or not, given that he'd spent most of his time in his room these past few days. Answer to question was "Well, it's hard to tell you because there are issues of trust, appropriateness and whether you can handle stuff or not, so lets not go there. We'll stick to talking about the simple things." My reply - "OK, that's it then, seeya" and I walked out.

I could let this melt me down. I can feel it in the pit of my stomach. Sitting there like a drama-queen, waiting to pounce and create a spectacular, attention-getting meltdown. I can't let it, even though I know I would love to scream at him about him being condescending and what the fuck have I been doing all this time anyway, trying not to meltdown - where has it got me, NOWHERE! Nothing I EVER do will change me in his eyes. Never, nothing.

That's what my egotistical mind is saying. And I know how unreasonable the above sounds and I make it sound like I'm doing all this for him and his damn approval. So where to from here.

There's only one thing for it. Not tapping, though I might try that later if the pit of my stomach doesn't settle. The solution is to turn away and not buy into the emotion of it all. Pay it no attention and IT WILL PASS and then things will go back to normal. Simple, yes? Easier said than done. So I distract myself with all manner of things - Adam Lambert being among those things that are successful in turning my mind away from all things negative. I play with the kids, I read to them, I watch tv and try to cook and as I'm setting out his (ex) dinner, I think that although I don't have to do those things, I do them for the good of our family atmosphere, in the same way he iron's my clothes.

So... onto other matters. I made my daughter cry today because I got angry at both of them. They'd been playing on my computer and then decided that they'd like to jump on my bed and hurl a few things around the room. Boy, did I lose it. And while I'm telling them off, my daughter thought the whole thing was a joke - and that really pushed my buttons. So I talked to both of them about how something like that can really hurt a person's feelings and that they shouldn't be using my room as a playground etc. I was visibly mad at them because they treat my stuff like well, like kids treat stuff. I know this sounds like I'm over-reacting, but honestly, I can tell them ten times quietly not to do something, but if I raise my voice a little, or a lot, then they stop and listen. And I've tried every other damn quiet way to tell them, positively (gee, I like the way your sitting quietly at my computer) and negatively (DON'T JUMP ON THE BED!). For the moment, the raised voice works, though I'll try to use it sparingly.

Anyway, after they'd had their talking to, my daughter was still crying and when I probed as to why, I finally got her to tell me that she thinks I'm going to leave now. That's the precedent I've set for her - when I get angry, I leave and she's left behind. Rather than just tell her I wasn't going to leave, I decided to go into a little more detail about why I left before. I said that at that time, I wasn't feel very well in my mind and the only way I could get better was to be with my family. She felt bad for me and cried some more, until my reassurances that it worked and I was feeling better now finally got through. I wonder if one day she will understand and whether it will make a difference. I hope she can see it, though if she doesn't, I'll accept it and do whatever I can to reassure her that I won't leave her like that again. I feel terrible about leaving her, but I knew at the time, leaving was my only option. If I knew then, what I know now, I never would have left - I would have found some other way to deal with what I was feeling.

However, we all know how wonderful hindsight is. That said, she seemed to recover OK and we had a pleasant dinner, which elicited the following exchange between my son and I:
Son: Hey mum, I don't see bean and onions. I see lemon pepper chicken but are we NOT having beans and onions?
Me: No, not tonight, I thought we'd have a break from beans and onions (according to my kids, we have beans and onions every night)
Son: Ahhh, that's the life! Walks away happy and relaxed.

I'm still a little worried about him. He's just so 'quirky' and fixated on things. All he talks about is school, teachers, their timetables (he knows his and my daughter's school timetable off the top of his head and knows some of the timetables of other classes too. I told his maths teacher this and she has a new respect for his abilities).

Then yesterday I was asking him why, if he could follow the rules at school, why couldn't he follow them at home. His answer "well, there are millions of workers in my brain, and that's why my brain is so big and the workers are bad workers and they make me jump around"

Me: They do?

Him: Yes, and when I put on my uniform, well those workers hate school so on the way they jump out and then I can follow the rules. But when I'm home, they're back in my head.

It's almost like he controls himself all day long and then, when he gets home, he just explodes. I know of an autistic kid that does this. At school, he doesn't flap his hands at all but when he gets home, he flaps so badly, his can't concentrate on anything else. This is what my son is like. That and the talking. The boy never shuts up - never. Except when he's sleeping. I hope when he's older I can channel his energies into something constructive.

My biggest worry for him is that he feels like we're telling him what to do all the time - or rather, what not to do. It'll affect his self esteem in the same way it affected mine. He won't feel accepted and he'll feel like he's the naughty one. And his sister is so tired of having to battle him all the time to get some things to go her way - he's rude to her (and us somtimes), he's stubborn and obsessed and just wants things his way and she's losing her patience. I have to teach her that while it's OK to tell him what he's doing wrong sometimes we just have to accept him for who he is so that he feels like we love him.

Even I have to work at that, because I can see it in his demeanour that with everyone telling him what not to do, it makes him feel like we love him less. And that of course leads to him saying things like "I wish you didn't born me mummy, I wish in the year 2000, I didn't come out of you" and "can't you just create me another sister because this one's being rude to me".

When I read it, it sounds cute and funny, but hearing it is quite different. It's heart breaking because I know from personal experience what he's going through. I just hope I can make it better. Maybe, in the spirit of "you're having this experience because you need to have it", I'm the one that's going to help him because I know what it's like to be him and I know what I need to teach him so that he can control himself better and be better at doing things with other people.

We all have a purpose and for the moment, I think I've found mine.

2 comments:

Melba said...

Wow, there's so much in this post. Firstly, I think ex is doing the right thing. No matter how he said it, he's right. It's better to stick to the smaller things, superficial things, because you aren't friends and you aren't in a relationship and it's just too risky to "go" anywhere else conversationally. Your almost-reaction proves his point. It's not until you really don't give a flying fuck when he blocks you out like that, that will be the time when maybe you will be able to "go there." But I would suggest you don't. You talk about light stuff, practical domestic stuff, the kids. You don't talk about feelings, or anything relationshipy. He's being wise. Sorry to say. Ali did the same thing, he pulled away and was very cold and formal to me, it was hurtful and I felt it was personal but I can see now it was the right thing to do. You can't break up a marriage and remain intimate. You just can't, you have to move on emotionally. Now I am so "whatever" about him and his personal life, I couldn't care less. I never ask beyond "how are you, how's work?" and don't indulge him when sometimes he does let slip about personal stuff. A few years ago, if I'd let him, I would have become like a sisterly confidante. Not what I need!!

Re your son, I also worried about the quirk level with the Boy in our family. But you know what, quirk is interesting and good. Might not be so in Malaysia, but later on, he'll grow into himself. But it's hard in the meantime.

I think you're doing a wonderful job Jo, sorry I haven't been around much to comment. I always keep up with the posts, but I've been trying to do my own writing...

Blech. So time consuming. Otherwise, all is good here. Princess is off at school camp until Friday, I'm missing her and her teenage hormones already!

xxx

phoenixmummy said...

You're right as usual, Melba. Ex did the right thing and I knew it too, which is why I just walked off. It's going to be a long time before I give a flying fuck about what he does and I'll need to be outta here when that happens, because the things he does now, do affect us - if he goes and wrecks himself at a nightclub and then comes home, who has to explain to the kids why their Papa sleeps so much or why he gets to go on 'holidays' all the time - I do. If I wasn't here, I wouldn't give a damn. It just seems so unfair that I have to pick up the pieces - and he wouldn't think it's anything, because it's not like he comes home and he's sick or it changes our routine or anything, it just unsettles me, especially when the kids ask questions.

Thanks for dropping by. I hope the writing is going well for you.

xx