One of my students is has high-functioning autism. This means that she is not as disabled as some of my other students. She can read, write, learn and is a part of 'our' world, whereas many other autistic people remain aloof and quite helpless really. She's bright, this girl, but her social skills are not very good and if you met her, you'd sense that 'something wasn't quite right'. She's the one who, since she's been coming to me, "now can talk many" - which is a direct quote from her very happy mother. She's a real sweetie, I adore her and now that she's 'getting it', as in understanding more, she's really keen to learn which makes her a pleasure to teach.
Her mum is lovely and every holidays, she will ask to send her 3 daughters to me for a session in English - perhaps just to give herself a break and to break up the holidays for the kids. Today was one of those days and I'd noticed during our session that although the oldest daughter can speak English quite well, she doesn't really read that well.
Here, good marks in English can get you a long way. Being able to speak, read and write in English means you can teach it and make a really decent living which I think will be important to this family later in life. Here, they don't have the pension or social security - just a bit of welfare for the really poor. So the children must make enough money later on to support themselves and their parents, which can also be difficult in a small town like this where there are many people and salaries are low. I don't know if what I do with this girl will really impact on her future in this way, but it may lay a good foundation for her English learning later on.
So today I decided that to really pick up on doing my bit for the community here, I would offer to teach this young girl English, but gratis. I know that although they pay their fees to me every month, on time, sending their eldest to me (as well) is just not something they can afford. When I asked her mum if she could send her and told her "you no need pay me, OK" she cried. For me, it was just such an unexpected reaction, I almost cried myself. She said she was so happy that I had offered, it must mean a lot to them, but I really had no idea how much. I think since the downturn, this family has seen some tough times but I wasn't really sure. Then when I cut the fees last month because they seemed a bit high (I charge RM 15 for my time, but 4 hours a week, plus a holiday session, adds up), the relief on the mother's face was obvious.
So, I'm really glad that I can offer this to them. It makes so little difference to me in terms of effort, but will definitely make a difference to this girl.
Another good reason to be here.
3 comments:
What a marvellous help individuals can be when they can find the opportunity.
It must seem so rewarding to hear people say “now can talk many”.
You must be seen as the “High Priestess of Segamate”.
Well done.
It is great to hear someone say that - and also this - "I hope her early in good healthy" which translates to "hope she gets well soon", referring to Jilian when she was sick.
And I don't know about the High Priestess thing... I think I'm seen more as "that 'orang putih' (white person) who doesn't talk much and who looks like she just hates living here!"
But I don't actually know.
Dear Jo (soon to be St. Jo of Segamat?) what is it in Segamat that galvanises the people?
Last weekend here in Melbourne it was of course the football soon to be followed by the Melbourne Cup.
Actually although I do not even bet on “the Cup” I look forward to it because it provides that small break in the insane rush as we are herded to the shops for Christmas.
The last weekend had me pondering what kindles and drives the interest of people in different countries and even areas within countries.
Most towns and countries have some festival that is something special.
I came across some that are truly at odds with the country they are held in. China is not known for journalistic freedom yet they have Journalists’ Day, Russia still has their major holidays as Religious ones. In North Korea they have Army Day and celebrate the birthday of Kim Jong Mentally Ill.
The Americans have the 4th of July, China has their National Day plus another 15 holidays including Communist Party Day, Teacher's Day, and Journalists' Day, Russia has their Seasonal and Religious ones what do you have that binds the people in Segamat?
Post a Comment