This year, for me, ends on the 26th November. It is my countdown date, the day before we leave for my home, to be with family and friends for a month before coming back. As we draw nearer, I find myself ticking off things that need to be done, events that have asked for our attendance and items that need to be packed. It's getting close and exciting and somehow surreal.
We're half done in the packing department. Clothes that we're not wearing, my two degrees that I want to be at home, my crystal champagne flutes and some little pressies for a friend's son are all in. I'm not bringing much else back, though I'd like to. I'd like to bring a ton of kids clothes back for my brother's 4 kids, whom I barely know. I'd love to bring back lots of bags and girly stuff for all my sister's kids (5 girls aged 6 - 21). I'd love to bring back lots of cute stationery for my daughter's school-aged friends whom we are going to visit. But I'm going to have to be content with just bringing back myself, my kids and a few things. Years of living with ex have left me feeling guilty if I turn up somewhere (especially from overseas) empty-handed. One of ex's wonderful qualities is that he's generous (with his money) to a fault. Every time we came to Malaysia, we'd bring stuff back. Even now, if we go out of town, he'll usually find something to bring back to his mum or his brother, even though we're financially stressed. This conflicts with what I was brought up to believe - that if you haven't got it, you can't spend it and your true friends and family will understand and will want your company anyway. Yes, it's nice to bring people stuff, but sometimes you just can't. My mother in law always packed her suitcase to the brim with loads of stuff for us over the years - a Moulinette blender, a wok, countless food items, curry powder, biscuits, clothing and once, a bottle of Ginseng brandy, meant to help me recover from having my first baby (it's a chinese medicine thing and it was awful and I didn't want it). I don't know how she did it - all that stuff is so heavy.
Anyway, I have to sign off. Regular life is calling. Uniforms need to be ironed, my daughter needs to see a doctor because she's got a nasty cough and the house needs to be tidied. Ex's sister arrives today. That's exciting, especially for the kids, who haven't seen her for a while. She'll be a great distraction for them in these next two weeks and I hope that we can take her out for lots of dinners and good stuff to eat. I've asked her to buy a book for me called Broken Open, by Elizabeth Lesser. It's about how the shit in life makes you stronger. Can't wait to read it and yes, I will pay her for it. But more than that, we'll enjoy having her around. She'll be a breath of fresh air, with her lovely smile and positive nature. It will be good to see her.
Have a good day folks, or by now, I hope your day is going well. Mine is just starting.
Cheers.
4 comments:
I thought the giving of gifts was an “Asian business thing” for many years.
The Koreans, Japanese, Malaysian, Thai etc I was not aware that it may also be an “Asian family” level trait also.
Now having said that there are so many non wealthy families here that purchase the most insanely expensive items for each other I am left astounded.
The families I am talking about may struggle with the house payments and purchase a flat screen TV for a gift. It is beyond me why they do this.
Come Christmas any vestige of financial commonsense departs completely.
My measures of respect, friendship, caring and closeness remain devoid of material offerings yet it is so widespread with other people and cultures it appears that I am the one out again.
We went out the other night with some Dutch friends to a restaurant and had a less than memorable meal yet the company and laughter was again the feature.
Still if you are coming over with a gift for me that is of course different. Perhaps the latest laptop fully loaded with the latest software would be a small, insignificant start.
Smile Jo and we will all look forward to seeing you.
Ahh, what I wouldn't give to be able to furnish you with the latest, greatest laptop ever seen - complete with broadband subscription. I think you'll have to be content with a bottle of wine that I will purchase from the bottle shop down the road, which we can then drink together along with your lovely wife and those dutch friends of yours - they sound lovely too.
Hey Jo you ok?
Make sure you call me when you come and we will catch up, would be good to with S as well.
Number is still the same.
xxxx
PS Unbelievable. Wordverif is "borat"
Hi Melba, I'm OK, just can't seem to string two words together and been a bit anxious. But everything is fine. Thanks for asking. Didn't realise how long it's been since I posted. I'll call you.
hugs
Jo
Post a Comment