Doesn't time fly? It's already 18 days in and it feels like I've been here for two. Everyday has had something new to offer. Yesterday I took a trip to my accountant in Camberwell. Interesting for two reasons. One: the roads have changed so much. After we left my town, we didn't hit a light until we exited at Burke Rd! And the visit to the accountant was nice too. I adore my accountant. I know how strange that sounds, but I really do. He's an older guy (grandfatherly) and a really nice bloke. My dad, who came with me so I didn't get lost, liked him immediately.
Ex and I used to have a software publishing business. It's still receiving royalties from software written long ago and whenever I am back, I have to do my taxes and get things sorted, as they need to be. So while discussing the division of income and tax possibilities, my lovely accountant (who I don't think is that impressed with ex, though he's never said) said we should resign me from the company, pay all income to ex and then, since some tax has to be paid, lump ex with a big-arse tax bill. LOL! HAH! Then if he was to ever arrive back in this country, he'd be accosted at immigration and required to pay up before being allowed to leave. If I was a complete bitch, I'd do it.
But I'm not, so I won't. I will happily pay any tax required and leave him unencumbered. I don't like to cause that sort of trouble and besides, he's the children's father and I don't want to cause him any further misery - god knows, I've already (apparently) given him about 20 years worth of that. Hmmm.
Last night I visited my good friend for a late night coffee. I'm trying to get in as much of that stuff as possible - the visiting, not the coffee. It was nice. I love that I can do it. Mum and Dad happily mind the kids while they are sleeping and I go off into the darkness to have a life with my friends.
*
Today was also interesting. In the morning we attended my niece's end of year school concert. She's a cartoonist, a lovely girl , she also has autism, so she attends a special school. I love things like this. The kids work so hard, the teachers work hard and everyone has a great time. The kids that are aware are so great - they just get out there and sing/perform their hearts out - they don't care that it's out of tune or not quite right - it's the effort that counts. Exactly my kind of environment. My niece line-danced and really had the hip-swivelling, cowgirl action going in a way that I didn't think possible for her - I've never seen her move like that! A little later, she was one of three couples doing a waltz. Gorgeous! I video taped her performances to keep it for prosperity. It was so great to see her do something like this in person. I miss out on these things alot, given where I live, so it was nice to be able to support her. I was also a 'support person' at my other nieces career counselling session today. She didn't get the ENTER score she'd hoped for so we were looking at other options (great that she's got other options) for her. It's good to be able to be here for that sort of thing as well. Nice to be able to support the family.
It's getting hot tomorrow - really hot. We were going to visit my Aunty at Clifton Springs and then visit the beach at Port Arlington - but I've just cancelled because it will be too hot. I have some nice memories of Port Arlington when Mr Scorpio and family used to operate a paddle boat business there during the summer holidays. Such good times. Now, Mr Scorpio, I'll ask you again - do you remember fishing on the pier at night and catching the stingray - at that time it was THE most exciting thing I'd ever done. Fabulous memories - fishing, swimming, riding in Dad's inflatable surf boat - I was allowed to drive it - and riding on the paddle boats. Gee, we had some good times there.
Another day is almost over. I was up early this morning talking to Dad. I'm having fantasies about buying the house across the road, renting it out and then moving straight in when I come back. Now all I need is a deposit (some of which I already have) and a job to be able to pay off the mortgage!! Just a dream though.
Cheers.
3 comments:
Jo,
• I would love to say I remember that incident so clearly I cannot!
• To espouse the concept of my hauling in such “monsters” that it became all so mundane I cannot.
The truth.....if only the truth was not that I am just getting old and forgetful.
Perhaps if I could improve my skills when it came to lying about these things?
To develop the art of lying to the point where I could enter politics might stave off the onset of dementia.
No, it appears that being a Scorpio means I tell it like it is..... Just old and forgetful.
I can still “cherry pick” some memories though.
With too few years left I guess one memory I will now “cherry pick” is that someone enjoyed some time with others like me.
To the others on this blog I suspect Jo retains a host of enjoyable memories with you also.
Take two
I hope so for I truly believe we had a blessed upbringing that consisted of a wonderfull extended family and amazing christmass get togethers which have not been repeated since my youth which puts it 35 years into my past but no less precious.
Post a Comment