Thursday, February 18, 2010

KL - Day 1

We arrived at the shopping centre at about 11.30 yesterday, after an uneventful 3 hour trip. Hungry, we first stopped at an eatery called Kluang Station which serves local Malaysian fare such as nasi lemak, kaya bread tea and coffee. The kids had milo, chicken wings and kaya bread. I had tea, ex had nasi lemak. Simple and fairly cheap. Then we split and went shopping. We always do this. It's awkward shopping together and I prefer it with just me and the kids. I took daughter and ex took son. First stop, a music shop to buy some cd's. I finally got what I wanted after months of waiting - Adam's CD, For Your Entertainment. I also got Kris Allen and Lady Gaga. It's interesting to see how my taste in music has changed. A few years back I was still stuck in the 80's. I missed the 90's and the first half of the naughties and now I only listen to current stuff.

Next bought daughter some new bathers - her first pair of 'racers', the type I used to wear when I was a teenager. She's supposed to do some swimming with the school this year so she needed some sensible bathers. Then off to Toy's R Us where we got some playdough and protective wrist guards so that the kids can ride on their rollerblades outside and not be so scared of falling over (and I can watch them from a distance rather than hovering over them - especially son cos he's not that good at it yet.)

Met up with ex at the toyshop where he dropped son with me and went off by himself. It's interesting to note that he does this without thinking or asking but if I were to want that, I'd be practically asking permission. Still, I didn't really mind, I was just glad to be out of Segamat for a while.

I think one of the things that contributed to yesterday's mood was that the earlier in the week, I'd talked to my friends about going to Malacca. We didn't really make any plans because they said that they had to stay at home and they had planned to go on Wednesday. I had wanted to go with just my girlfriend (sans husband) and she was really keen but her guilt won over and she said she had to stay at home. Anyway the very next day, they called me from just outside on Segamat and asked me if we'd like to follow them to Malacca. I would have gone in a minute, but felt guilty leaving ex without a car and I hadn't 'planned' to go, so it was much too short a notice for me. I got really antsy about the fact that everyone around me just picks up and goes wherever and whenever they want. If ex goes away for the weekend, he just says - I'm going away on Thursday and I'll be back Saturday and that's it. Whatever I've got on, I just have to deal with him not being there. My friends, inlaws, they pick up and go at a moments notice. Maybe I should just try it. Except I've got nowhere I really want to be. Maybe this year I'll come home for a week by myself (not) -my parents would kill me.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully with the afternoon being spent at the in laws palying with the kids and resting. We had dinner in and then while ex went out to meet a friend from Segamat, his brother took everyone back to the shopping mall for a while. It was my sister in laws idea to go so that I could buy the tickets for Avatar today. Good idea but with a gazillion people there lining up, I didn't have any chance of doing that within any reasonable amount of time. I'm sorry they went just for that reason, but I didn't ask them to - I thought they wanted to go to the bookshop, which is what happens when they speak half English and half chinese - I never fully understand the intention behind what they say.

So it's the next day. Ex and I shared the guest bed, clinging to our respective sides - there was no where else for me to sleep. I'm treading carefully again today, as I know he is. We're supposed to go to the shopping centre later, have lunch, watch Avatar in 3D and then drive 3 hours home. That's the plan. Let's hope it works out.

See you tonight.

1 comment:

GS said...

Oh Malacca! If I could just nip over for the weekend to eat at the market, the great laksa place in Jonkers and Nancy's....