Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mum

What I wouldn't give, to be able to take your place, just to take the pain away. I do so much, want to be there to hold your hand while you fight this latest bad turn of events. Don't let this pnuemonia get you OK, you have to be strong. The kids are I are sending you huge hugs from us, to help make you well. I'll call you and send messages everyday and if you don't get better, I'm on a plane on Thursday afternoon. I'm not even gonna pack. Just me and a backpack. I'll bring the kids to see you later in the year ok. For now, just concentrate on getting well.

You need to get well so that you can laugh with me, you know that stupid quirky sense of humour we both have. The one that makes us laugh til we cry. You're my mum and even though we weren't close for a long time, we are now and you don't know how much it means for us to all see you in the good place you've worked hard to be in. I am so proud of you for what you've done for yourself and the way you work hard to make each day count. You never stop giving to us. And the grandkids, they need you. You always go the extra mile with them - for mine, when we were there, there were favourite meals cooked, visits to the park, picnics and walks with the dog - even when it hurt you or you were tired, you still did it. You're a living example of dogged determination - and that determination is what is going to get you through this. You're not going to let this beat you, not if you can help it, dammit. I know you. You want your life back and if you have any say in it, you will get it back. No-one tells Liz that she can't do something, right Mum? Right!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went in to see your mum at the RMH last week.
It now rates as the dirtiest hospital in Australia that I have been in.
Spoke with your dad last night over a coffee, he was told that pneumonia is a common disease developed after many operations.
While I am not a doctor (fortunately?) it strikes me that if the pneumonia story is true something is very wrong with the system.
To have a patient develop this “common” and extremely serious complaint within 14 hours of being released suggests to me that the patient was discharged at least 24 hours too soon.
All too strange to be dismissed as just a small error.
Having a new wing built at the hospital is good and overdue, however, keeping the old one clean and having it staffed by competent people thereby avoiding patients being sent home too soon only to contract the common serious problem after 14 hours should be addressed.
I read this week that over 600 new doctors would be funded by the Government. Where are we to suddenly “find” 600 competent doctors that can speak English?
If we train 200 doctors a year in Australia and lose about this number with retirements where do the 600 suddenly come from? There is a problem importing doctors from overseas.
I once played squash against a doctor at the Western General Hospital who related her “struggle” to communicate with some doctors who have little or no grasp of the English language.
“Struggle” by the way is a euphemism for cannot.
Tough times ahead for all it seems.

GS said...

Hugs. Crap times. Get on a plane, even if she's getting better I reckon. She needs you none the less.

Melba said...

Hugs from me too. I haven't been reading for a few days so sorry my comment is late.

I agree with AOF. Get on a plane if you want or feel the need. Don't worry about money, you can always find money. I can help if you need.


xxxxxx