Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Adam Lambert going international and some other stuff

Adam Lambert: I still adore this guy and can't get enough of him. I know it sounds crazy, but really, as I told my hero at http://adamlambertobsession.blogspot.com/ he makes me happy in a way the other man in my life never did. But that's fantasy for you.

Soooo, he's taking his GLAM NATION tour international, starting in September. If any of you hear a scrap of information about him coming to Melbourne to perform, PLEASE EMAIL ME and let me know. Seeing him in concert would be the experience of a life time, of that I am sure. In the US, the tickets to his concerts sell out in minutes, so I don't even really think I'd get a chance to go, but it's something I'd like to do for myself if it was possible.

I was just thinking of the things I am grateful for and one of those things is my computer, the internet and specifically YouTube. I don't know what I'd do to entertain myself on those times when I'm at home with not much to do. I watch Adam videos from his concerts and even though he's only a year into his career, he's done so much and he really can sing his face off. Over the top? Yes, sometimes but he also knows when to tone it down. Spectacular? Absolutely. I'm so glad for the distraction because it stops me from over-thinking things and he really is better than a dose of xanax. For me anyway. I know he's not for everyone and some of my friends think I'm nuts - but they went to see Cliff Richard in concert and he's 70! Better seeing the young and virile than the elderly! And we know what Cliff's going to do - just sing because really at that age, what else is there. Adam, on the other hand, can manage all sorts shenanigans on stage that makes my jaw drop and keeps me awake at night.

So, even though I will be looking, if you see of, hear of any information, I would love it you'd let me know.

*

I have a new student who started about 2 months ago and I can't work out his problem. He's not autistic though he displays a few autistic traits. He doesn't speak, at all. He does babble, use intonation, makes 'emotional' noises like gasping and 'uh oh' when he drops something. He has a sense of humour and with me, makes good eye contact. His physical motor skills are lagging and his coordination needs some work too. He can't sit still (he's been diagnosed as hyperactive). He likes to play and can use his imagination. He can use toy objects to role play real life skills but can't let me know when he needs the toilet. He's normal in so many ways, yet so delayed in others.

I can't work out why he can't talk, whether it's just a delay or whether it will be that he can't talk because that part of his brain doesn't work properly ie he has a specific language disability. He doesn't imitate or even seem to know that I want him to imitate what I'm saying and this is the process I need to start, but don't know how. I've read quite a bit on mutism in children but this kid doesn't match anything I've read. He has a voice, which he uses to babble but when it comes to words, nothing's there - just baby babble.

He's also got some behavioural issues, like having huge tantrums and injuring himself when he doesn't get his way. I'm thinking that because his family don't know how to manage this, it's come to the point where, at home, he just does what he wants and his family let him. In the first two sessions he tried scratching and kicking to get his way. I stopped him by just holding him firmly and saying no in an equally firm voice. He got the message after about 5 minutes and hasn't tried it since, so he's pretty intelligent in that way. I've taught him to ask for something by signing 'want' and now need to extend that by getting him to point at what it is he wants. This is taking him a little longer to learn.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. He'll probably improve as he gets older, so patience is the key here.

*

I'm annoying ex again. Not on purpose, but I need to lay low for a bit as he gets through some stress - at least that's what I assume the problem to be. Little things are making him angry - at least they are little things to me. I'm not in the mood for his stress. I'm tired and so sick of being here.

*

My mum asked me about what I would miss here when I come home. For anyone reading this, you might think that I wouldn't miss anything, but that's not true. I'd miss my students and the families I've come to know. I'd miss my friends here. Warm mornings, cool evenings, the rain and the storms. Satay and teh tarik (sweet hot tea) and many of the delicious foods. But most of all (and my mum picked this one) I'd miss going for supper with my friends. Catching up over the latest good food find - soft shell crabs, teh tarik and satay, dim sum and Chinese tea, assam fish and coconut juice straight out of a coconut (just chop the top section off a young coconut and stick a straw in). And I think I'd miss my room. It's big and everything in it is mine, chosen by me, for me.

*

Ex is at the office today. I'm Grateful he doesn't have to be here to look at my face and see how depressed I'm feeling. Not depressed really, just a bit flat. The kids are watching tv and I don't care how long for, I just want to sleep and sleep some more. I'm glad they have each other. Maybe some dark chocolate will help.

Later.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Adam Lambert ?????????????????

Ok now thats over with. That boy you are working with sounds facinating are you sure there are no auditory issues matbe he has limited hearing rather than soeach issues, I know that if people have hearing range (frequency) issues it can make life difficult.Can he hear all the sounds and in both ears?
Thats the (qualified) audiometrist comming out in me I do industrial hearing tests on adults and usualy end up diagnosing issues from childhood and spousal abuse believe it or not, scaring on the eardrum is not pretty.

Pete

phoenixmummy said...

You betcha, Adam Lambert. That boy (and at 28, he is still quite young)can sing his face off. As for all the other stuff he is (gay, wears eyeliner and loves glitter and rhinestones), well, I just don't care about that stuff. It hasn't made an iota of difference to my fandom. :) Sigh, the things we do to distract ourselves from reality!

And Thanks for the tip Pete. I will ask his mother although I'm pretty sure he has the hearing of an elephant. He can hear quite clearly as he never misses the sound of his mother pulling up in her late model car to collect him, and this makes his condition all the more puzzling.

Anonymous said...

Being only marginally hetro (1 wife plus 3 kids) you sparked an interest.

Am I correct in assuming he is the blonder one here on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp-mJadXMjM

Sorry Jo perhaps it is a Scorpio thing.


Seriously best wishes to all.

GS said...

I miss the food...and I've only been to Malaysia once! Let me know when you find good Malaysian food in Melbourne :)