Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Random Thoughts

Why is ex home all day today - and sleeping all afternoon. He must have had a big night last night. Not that I care. Just sayin'.

Damn it's hot today. Unusually dry and hot. The wind is warm, not like Malaysia at all. More like Australia. I must say, I don't miss this weather at all.

I think I know why my newest student can't talk. It's because he CAN'T talk - I think it's a physical co-ordination problem. He's actually making progress under my care - he can now imitate the sounds of quite a few letters of the alphabet but sometimes he has to take the time to put his mouth into the correct shape in order for the right sound to be made. He's trying really hard and he's actually very smart, it's just the actual talking that's not happening. This makes the most sense because he also has physical co-ordination problems with his hands and his gross motor movement. Yes, that could be it. I need to teach him how to move his mouth to make the sounds and then teach him to link the sounds together - I think. He actually needs speech therapy but the closest one is three hours away.

Feng Ying, that precious little bundle of autism, who I've been teaching for three years now, has finally taken the plunge and written her name independently. It's good to see her progress. I noticed her clothing yesterday. Huge underpants, 3 sizes too big, clothes that were too big and obviously belonging to a boy. She's such a pretty little thing, I wonder why they can't dress her better. Her mum and dad both work, so I don't think it's a money issue. More likely a value issue - often these kids are seen as less worthy than others and so the care they are given is well, mediocre at best. I know her father adores her though, but he's not the one caring for her during the day. That's done by relatives.

My other student, Zhi Lin, the girl whose mother once said, "thank to you, she now can talk many" currently ranks number 7 in her class of 34 and passed her end of year exams with mostly A's and one or two B's. I like to think I've had a hand in helping her achieve that. When I leave, it will be hard to say goodbye to her.

Time to go shopping. I've got one hour before I need to be back. I hate shopping. And I need to buy another new pair of shoes for a dinner I'm attending on Saturday. I've been told that the dress code is formal (up til now I thought it was smart casual because that's what my friend told me and I always believe her)- OMG - I'm the least formal person you could ever come across and my lovely beige silk shirt no longer fits me. I do not know what to do.

Arrgghhh

:)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is only a small piece of the latest blog ....how old is "thank to you, she now can talk many"?

Cheers to all

phoenixmummy said...

That comment is about 2 and a half years old now - with quite a few other classics from her since then, but this is the most poignant one to me.

Anonymous said...

That is a comment that you should remember for many years.
I suspect that it is one comment that was said with genuine warmth.

phoenixmummy said...

Yes, I'll remember it for many years. It was only when she sent this message that I realised she was really happy with the work I was doing with her daughter.

Another classic from her was when I offered to teach her older daughter and would only charge her a minimal fee for it. She wrote back and said "oh you are my benefactor!! :)

Anonymous said...

When you are here next I will BBQ some Kambing Golek.

Cheers

Nicola said...

Lovely post Jo - amazing the work you are doing with these kids. I am sure your influence and teaching is going to make a massive impact on these children throughout their whole lives.

Wonderful xx

phoenixmummy said...

Mr S, Right, BBQ at your place, as long as the Kambing is fresh. If not, can you do a chicken, or some lamb?

Nicola, thanks for your kind words. :)