Monday, February 28, 2011

Another weekend where i just want to come home

So I'm still feeling very broken at the moment. My jaw from the extraction, my arm, though that is improving slightly. I can now very lightly touch my left shoulder with the point of my finger. I have a physio appointment in two weeks, so I'm hoping that will help.

In the meantime, I'm rather worried about my jaw. I'm really shitty with my dentist because I think if he'd been more careful, there would have been less trauma. It's been 10 days and I still can't open my mouth wide enough to fit a spoon through. Yesterday I had an almost meltdown over the things I can't do at the moment, most of them involving opening my mouth. Do you know how many things in life, require you to open wide? Screaming (not that I do much of that), eating anything thicker than 5mm, eating meat and sandwiches, vomiting (no plans to do that, though I did feel car sick yesterday and was a tad worried about what would happen), brushing teeth, singing loudly in the car to Adam songs and laughing loudly (not that I do much of that here either). My biggest fear is of course, what if I'm stuck like this? Then what? Fuck.

So I went and saw the doctor today and told him about my fears. He was very understanding and has given me some stronger painkillers, some anti-biotics in case of an infection and something to help with the swelling. I hope this works. And you would think that with all the food I haven't been able to eat, that I would have lost weight. Nup, not a gram.

Too much information??? I don't care, much.

*

Went to Malacca yesterday with my good friends. They were taking their son to a special therapy session - Mediated Learning, which they hope will help their autistic son. They have already spent (and wasted) so much money on alternative therapies to help him, but the thing that's made the biggest difference in his life, is they work that they themselves have done with him. Hours and hours of doing reading and activities with him, making sure he can pronounce the words he needs.

After the therapy, we went for something to eat and found a little western-style cafe that served pasta. We went ahead, my friend her son B and I, while her husband W went to eat first at the Chinese cafe next door. He said he just wanted to see if the food tasted like it did 20 years ago when he was a student in the area. Then he came and ate again with us and had coffee. Then we walked across the road and guess what, drank more coffee. I swear, it's a wonder that guy is not the size of a house, the way he eats. Still it's always interesting to go out with him because he does know good food. I'm probably just jealous because I can't eat that much.

Later, he took us all shopping. This guy loves to shop, I'm not kidding. He's currently renovating their new house so he's in 'shop til you drop' mode. He went off and made multiple expensive purchases while I went looking for a stick blender. I've been wanting one for ages so I can make nice soup and not being able to eat real food seemed like a great excuse to get one. And get one I did. I didn't ask ex about it, I used my own money so didn't need to. It's mine. I'm taking it home.

The one thing I don't like about going out with them is that he drives too fast. Honestly, I get car sick when I travel with them - hence the worrying about vomiting above. And he always gets his appointment times mixed up - yesterday we were a half hour late because he didn't take note of the time properly. He's the most disorganised person I know, but then, no-ones perfect. He'd drive ex nuts.

*

I found out that there's another Australian living here, amongst the coconut trees and outdoor restaurants. He or she is teaching at one of the other Chinese schools. Hmmm, be interesting to meet that person and see what they think of the life here.

So not much news today. I'm going to write a list called 'what's wrong with my computer' and ex is supposed to get a quote to get it fixed. If it's too expensive, he talked about getting me a new one. My mum said he's just trying to buy me stuff to get me to stay. She doesn't like him very much, but that's a whole other blog entry.

Cheers

1 comment:

Melba said...

Jo really sorry to hear about your jaw and continued difficulties with it. Is there another dentist you could go to for a second opinion; it does sound like things should be healing quicker than they are.

Hang in there my darling, you'll be ok!

xxxxxxx