When you meet ex for the first time, he is pleasant. He's nice, generous and can play along with the silly stuff - sometimes. With the kids he's cheery and enthusiastic (now as opposed to being almost non-existent before), always putting out new ideas about what we can do at this time or that. He's polite and aware and will help when needed. He's careful about imposing on people, about doing things the right way. He doesn't like to bother people and he doesn't like US to bother people either.
These days he's concentrating on being able to 'let things go' - as in not getting stressed when other people do things that are not to his liking, for whatever reason. He finds it hard to tolerate inefficiency and clumsiness or things that he thinks should be preventable (why make things harder for yourself than they should be). Being with me has made his impatience with these traits a lot worse.
But in trying to let go of the stress that's generated within himself, he comments, mumbles and most annoyingly hums inane tunes to fill his head with noise so that he doesn't think about what's going on around him. These are the behaviours that I'm noticing more and more now and the ones that trouble me.
With the website that he did for the flood, he was often annoyed about people asking for road closure advice when he'd mentioned umpteen times that they should look at the government website or ring the police stations. I guess it did get tedious, but that's the nature of people - they want the shortest way to get the information they need. When I mentioned to him about the nice thing a friend had said about him on the web site he dissed it and said "ahh, that guy's into all that sort of thing". I couldn't ask him to clarify without seeming sarcastic - "what, you mean appreciating other people's hard work". I mean i get it that he didn't do the website for solely for personal gain, he did it because he could and knew it would help. But if someone chooses to compliment your efforts, take it gracefully. If I was that guy, I'd be offended.
What I'm trying to say is that ex is never what he appears to be. That's showing through more now than ever before. It used to really (understandably) upset me - I can't count the times in our relationship where I thought we were doing really well and he'd say "well I've been really angry/upset with us for the past two weeks" - and it would surprise me each and every time. I had no idea and could never figure it out because it never showed up in his behaviour.
Now I know better. Now, I can see subtle (and not so subtle) cues of stress that tell me that all is not right with him. And I have no delusions about how he feels about me anymore. Unless I'm with the kids or he needs my help or I need his, I'm pretty much non-existent to him. He proved that with his behaviour in the last post. I wonder if his friends notice it. He does have friends, just not anyone super close as far as I know.
His exercise in 'letting go' looks a bit futile to me - he tells himself to but then it's seems like such an effort to do it. It's like he's not doing it with a good heart - there's resistance there and it's not helping him at all. I know from what I've been through that it's only when you truly surrender your mind and heart to what is, that genuine change will take place.
I've been writing this post for the past two days and in that time, a lot of the behaviours that really irk me have taken a back seat and a gentler, more compassionate ex has emerged. Strange. He's asked about my arm, whether it hurts and asked if the cast gets heavy and commented (without a hint of sarcasm) "I'm sure you didn't want this..." - no I didn't I replied, but left it at that. He's also been talking to me like I'm an adult and not a child, which I've appreciated. But I'm careful and reserved with him - I don't trust him to keep treating me well and I'm not buying into it.
Previously, when it's been like this, I've let my guard down and thought "oh, he's so good, it must have been me" but when I think about it like this, I think 'dysfunction' on his part and I remember that he's responsible for this mess too. Incredulous as it might seem to anyone reading this, sometimes I still forget, especially when he sounds so rational. So perhaps after all this time, the murky waters of this 'relationship' are starting to clear.
His exercise in 'letting go' looks a bit futile to me - he tells himself to but then it's seems like such an effort to do it. It's like he's not doing it with a good heart - there's resistance there and it's not helping him at all. I know from what I've been through that it's only when you truly surrender your mind and heart to what is, that genuine change will take place.
I've been writing this post for the past two days and in that time, a lot of the behaviours that really irk me have taken a back seat and a gentler, more compassionate ex has emerged. Strange. He's asked about my arm, whether it hurts and asked if the cast gets heavy and commented (without a hint of sarcasm) "I'm sure you didn't want this..." - no I didn't I replied, but left it at that. He's also been talking to me like I'm an adult and not a child, which I've appreciated. But I'm careful and reserved with him - I don't trust him to keep treating me well and I'm not buying into it.
Previously, when it's been like this, I've let my guard down and thought "oh, he's so good, it must have been me" but when I think about it like this, I think 'dysfunction' on his part and I remember that he's responsible for this mess too. Incredulous as it might seem to anyone reading this, sometimes I still forget, especially when he sounds so rational. So perhaps after all this time, the murky waters of this 'relationship' are starting to clear.
4 comments:
Jo it's amazing how easily we (often women, but not always) immediately are willing to accept blame or think that everything is our fault. Then when you add to that tendency the way (some) people 'assist' in feeling like that, then it's no surprise that you end up shouldering everything.
(What a terribly written sentence, sorry.)
I think that it's really good you are gaining new perspective on things. Just because you have struggled with things doesn't mean he isn't too. It sounds like he is struggling with himself, not an envious position. The muttering kind of adds to the list of behaviours that make me think he is struggling.
Can you articulate more about why you are concerned? What are you scared of?
I think you're handling it very well.
Sorry, I tried, I could not let this post go past without a comment.
......“and I remember that he's responsible for this mess too”.
In a firm, quiet voice, when you gently make mention of the fact that you are very concerned about his attitude to people and that you are no longer prepared to shoulder 100% of the blame why not include the bit ......“and I remember that he's responsible for this mess too”.
Now, in my own subtle Scorpio way I am still a little concerned despite what you may think that the penny has not dropped ..............because of what YOU wrote.
In your post you wrote this little bit......“Being with me has made his impatience with these traits a lot worse”.
To me this says that you consider yourself 100% at fault (not 50% or any other %) and I disagree.
This says that the penny has not dropped. I am sorry if this is Scorpio blunt!
He is impatient and impersonal, perhaps even impertinent (and most probably some other “im’s”) with people that he considers either not useful or that are a “lower” class.
While these were tolerable at one point it appears these traits may have worn thin with many people.
These are not qualities that you produced or developed in him!
These are personality “disorders” that he had and that you and others either had ignored or tolerated.
• Is it possible that his behaviour and demands at home have changed or is that run riot?
• Is it also possible that you are so darned intent on self examination that you did not see and recognising things that disappoint you with “J”?
At no point in what I wrote above did I mean to apportion any blame to you other than perhaps infer that you are / were / way or have been too tolerant. (pick one)
I know we all need to be flexible and view things from the other persons perspective SOMETIMES.
• When a behavioural disorder starts to destroy people and families what should we do?
Should "J" come back here for a break? (joke?)
Best to all.
Thankyou Melba, I don't think I'm worried as such, but I do feel for him that he's struggles with something that is a basic fact of society - we are all different and so are our standards. He tells me and the kids often enough that doing something is "just a skill" and anyone can learn it and yet he struggles so hard with the skill of 'letting go'- he's come a long way already, or so he says, and I acknowledge that (or maybe I haven't here) but he still seems to have to work so hard at it.
Mr Scorpio, FACT: being with me has made it worse - is that reasonable - no because it puts me down , but it is fact, in his story. Not in my story. My story says "I wasn't as bad as all that... he was responsible too". Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
To your questions:
1."Is it possible that his behaviour and demands at home have changed or is that run riot?" He is trying to change his behaviour for the better, but struggling with it. I can feel myself getting a little smug, thinking, see, not so easy is it? His behaviour hasn't gotten any worse. I've seen the worst - how much lower can you go when you can tell the woman you loved and is the (competent) mother of your children that "you're unlovable" like it was fact. Yes, I think and hope the very worst of him has passed.
2. Is it also possible that you are so darned intent on self exam that you did not see and recognise things that disappoint you with “J”?
Of course! I felt like the focus was always on me and my faults, even though he used to say "this is not about you". There was never a chance to turn the spotlight the other way, so naturally I didn't see him to be at fault.
I don't think this will destroy him, he will come to a point of acceptance at some stage. He just needs to go through the process first. What I need to do is remember that we all struggle with change and remember that this is his and "it's not about me".
Thanks Jo.
Some streets in Melbourne tonight are flooded again.
It is 10:30pm and I now need to rearrange my work schedule for tomorrow as a result of the rain.
Have a good night.
Best wishes to all.
Post a Comment