"YEE JIN did a fantastic job but he is on his own. Solo. Long Ranger. He asked me to be his Tonto during the flood crisis along with my new buddy Dusty. Personally - I had great fun helping out. After some thoughts - Segamat needs to be rebuilt. The economic losses are terrible. The only thing I can think of is to use Segamat.Com as a platform to encourage more tourists, more investors to bring in the $$$. It's a beautiful place, Segamat - this natural disaster has taught us not to mess with nature. We need to co-exist with nature." ~ MK
I saw this and felt like writing that cliche that says "behind every good man..." because they don't see (and of course they can't) what he's like to live with. I don't know if it's me being over-sensitive or him just being really annoying, but the past few days have been tough with him. He's constantly locking his bedroom door behind him when he goes in there (to keep us out???), his comments are continuously peppered with referrals to having to cater for "the Lowest Common Denominator" and having to be patient because "people are who they are". (I can't help but take this personally because when we used to talk about our problems, he would refer to me as our "LCD".) I keep hearing "see, we can do better", "there's always a better way" and it clouds my reality so I end up missing it when he does say something good, like aren't we lucky that mummy makes us such a nice dinner" and "you have changed a lot".
Talking with him is hard because we end up talking about how we're talking, or how I don't give proper context, or, or, or so many other trivial things that ultimately end up trashing whatever good intentions I had of talking to him. What I would give to have a decent conversation with someone that I really connect with.
Our reunion dinner, which we ended up going out for at an open air food court, was REALLY nice. We'd changed our plans and made it so that everybody would come back to our house, which meant, after having 4 extra kids to stay, I had to clean up the house - one handed, albeit with a little help from the kids. We did it and we did a great job. The house looked clean, we'd decorated a bit more and overall did what ex wanted to. We were late thanks to ex who decided that in the late afternoon, he wanted to wire up some outside lanterns, which proved more challenging than he expected.
On the way home from dinner, after hearing more comments about how it's always OK to follow the advice of someone else, I asked him whether we could drop off some things that belonged to the little girls who'd stayed with us. He said no, it wasn't ok, because it was a time to be spent with family, but added that if I chose to ask my sis in law to take me, that would be my business. I'd actually asked her if she could during dinner and she'd agreed but when I told her that ex wasn't happy about it, she offered to deliver it for me on their way home - she's married to his brother so she understands my situation. The thing that pissed me the most though was that after we got home, he went straight to his computer and stayed there! After telling me that I should be spending time with family AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN MY OWN FAMILY! Hence the hypocrite thoughts mentioned above.
And i was (unreasonably) mad at him also for not talking to me at all after everyone had left and the kids were in bed. He went to his room, locked the door and that was that. Day done. Not a thankyou for playing host while his family were here and he was in his room, not a comment or a bid goodnight. Nothing. Oh how I crave to sit with someone, drink tea and mull the day over, with someone who's on the same page as me.
So even though I know this will pass, what with the floods, and my damn useless arm and everything else, you can well imagine how much I hate living here this week.
goodnight.
Ps And I miss driving, oh how I miss driving.
5 comments:
Sorry Jo but that last bit where he just went to his room and did not acknowledge all you'd done. You deserve better than that.
Did you agreement to stay on in Malaysia for the sake of the children extend to him treating you like shit??
Sorry, I'm a bit steamed here. I wish I was there and could give him a piece of my mind. And then of course that would make everything worse! Sorry!
x
Thanks Melba, it's good to be validated. I wish you were here too, then we both could tell him what-for, so don't be sorry. I know if I say anything, it will not be taken well - at least that's what I think, so better just to ignore his bad behaviour and get on with it.
Maybe I'll tell him one day...when I'm far away ans=d don't have to deal with the fallout.
Jo you are already dealing with the fall out.
I was genuinely pleased that things went well for him during the “great flood of 2011” BUT that does not elevate him to Superman status.
If there were comments made about how you are concerned for his mental health I wonder what the reply might be?
This is not fair; it is not fair on you or eventually the kids and can only be seen as yet another reason for returning to civilisation. If you were to put all the reasons for staying there in one jar and the reasons for coming back in another I wonder which jar would be full by now?
One of those jars storing the reasons may need to be bigger than the other and the one for staying is sure as heck not the one I am referring to.
If he were described (by others) as a “precious little self serving self inflated upstart” I might currently have trouble defending him against that description.
“J” has become a pretentious prig. I suspect while some may give him a verbal slap there are others that may be a little less reserved if he tried this crap on them.
Once too often with his outlook he has attempted to make you feel as though you are part of that lowest common denominator he refers to with this constant denigration.
Book the tickets for three, separate yourself from this daily emotional turmoil and enjoy what life should offer you. Return to where you are appreciated for what you are, what you can do and what you and the kids can be.
This is nonsense what you (and probably others) are putting up with. What you have at present is an existence not a life. One option might well have been tolerable for a short while the other is what you deserve.
Yes I know why you are remaining there and I believe those intentions were admirable BUT surely rapidly approaching no longer practical.
Remember that I suspect things will become harder as the end of the year approaches.
I became so frustrated when reading this blog entry.
Best wishes
Thanks Mr S, for support. Ex doesn't understand why I would ever feel like he's putting me down. He sees nothing wrong with telling someone he's living with how they can be better at doing something. After all, who wouldn't want to do something in a more efficient or easier way. And sometimes he's right, there are better ways. But it's the way he says it and the frequency that bothers me most, mashed up with all the other things about him that I don't cope with that have lead me to being such a mess.
That said, of course, I've had my own demons and issues that I've had to work through... something he's only just beginning to acknowledge, but not in relation to our past.
And yes, things will get harder as the year progresses, of that I have no doubt. It's not fair, but life is not fair.
Life may not be fair.
Life is able to be fairer though.
It is our choice.
Nothing wrong with telling someone how to do better god I am so good at that (and it comes easily).
So "J" is not alone with that.
He has his own interpersonal skill issues and he is either ignoring those or unaware of the problem.
If I were to comment from this distance they do not appear to be endearing issues.
Cheers
Post a Comment