After what seemed like eternity, I finally have all my phone issues sorted. I badgered telecom for four days running and can now call overseas from the house line AND hear the phone ringing when someone calls me. My mobile phone also broke down at the same time and mr fixit-ex was intent on fixing it himself. For RM60 I could have had the thing repaired at the shops but he insisted and when he couldn't fix it, he bought me a new one instead, which is kinda good cos now I'm going to have the old repaired at the shop and keep it for a spare phone, something we don't have. While my phone was out, my friend Mrs Ong, lent me her old Motorola. Although small, that thing was a bitch to text on, so it was taking me 10 minutes to type out a damn text, something that would normally take 30 seconds to do on my old phone. So now i'm glad to have modern, working phone. Its amazing what we get used to. Years ago, when texting first appeared, we were just happy to be able to do it. Now it's second nature, we want to do it fast and cheaply.
All this technology in the past few months has meant that ex has spent close to RM2000 on me and my technology needs. He could have spent RM60 instead, so he must be getting some money from somewhere, because that amount of money is equivalent to the rent and grocery expenses for our household. I'm happier now though because I do get a bit ratty and stressed when the technology is not working as it should. It is after all half my life and my connection to home.
Anyway, I forgot to tell you that I had a lovely dinner with my friends a few weeks ago. It was my BFF's husband's birthday and they 'politely' invited me along. The food was great, it being at the same posh-ish restaurant that for Mother's Day, ex had deemed 'for special occasions' only. Sandwiched in between my girlfriend and my dance instructor, I had a rather nice time. At a Chinese dinner table, it's a sign of politeness and caring to serve someone from the centre of the table. So parents will serve (take food) their children, adult kids take for their parents etc. When I am at a dinner like this, usually people will take for me, so I never have to take for myself. At this dinner, my lovely, polite dance instructor was looking after me, engaging me in conversion about the meaning of the Chinese writing on the wall, telling me stories about his childhood, even though his English is quite broken. He didn't have any easy time growing up. His family weren't very well off and he had an uncle that used to beat him and his sisters. Everyone has a story don't they? He told me that he didn't start dancing until his late teens - I can't imagine him being encouraged to take up dancing at all as it's not seen as the sort of thing that can earn you money. And to be gay on top of that, well, that just makes it a whole lot worse.
Anyway, I have another dinner coming up. This one I have to go to as my daughter is part of the dance performance. She's only onstage for a few minutes but it will be worth seeing her dance. She's learning ballroom dancing at the same dance studio as my son who has recently taken up learning the kind of dancing you see in music videos. He LOVES it and she doesn't mind it. He relishes every lesson and Shen he's at home he dances as much as he talks - so that's like, all the time at the dinner table, in the bathroom, walking around the shops. If he's moving nowadays, he's usually in mid dance. When my son loves something, he really, really loves it.
We're on holidays this week, staying at my brother in law's house and minding the children while they're in Bangkok for a few days. My mother in law is here too, having decided to join us at the last minute. The live in helper, a delightful young girl from Cambodia, is here as well. I'm the driver, she is the cook and my mother in law organizes us all - well she tries to but I've finally learned that I can say no to her and she won't be offended or put up too much of a fight. This morning she asked me to leave the two cousins behind because one was sick and she wanted to other one home to keep him company. As I'd already promised him a trip out, I told her I didn't think that would work and was planning on leaving the sick boy behind with the helper anyway. She let it go and it all worked out. The sick one slept anyway, as I knew he would and I took the other three out for a nice afternoon at the shops.
I'm planning a morning out on my own. My mum in law who doesn't like going shopping anyway will stay home and, with the help of the helper, look after the kids. On Wednesday, we're meeting a friend who will take us to yet another shopping mall but this time specifically to check out a shop that makes carbon fibre orthotics for my sons feet. On Thursday ex will come back and take the kids out for a day and then drive us all home. Then it's back to our routine as the school term starts again on Monday.
And on that day, I need to go and do my yearly visa renewal. The fun things just never stop here!!!!
Cheers to all from the 'Pad
1 comment:
Life is just so good sometimes.
Not sure if that enjoyment cures the pain of life or intensifies the pain when it returns though.
However like me just enjoy those wonderful moments.
Best to all especially that nice Mr Virgo.
Cheers
Post a Comment