So many things are going around in my head and with no-one to talk to, this is where all the thoughts end up. Again I say, not very interesting stuff, but you know, it's my blog and all that.
I've been watching American Idol, which ended this week with Kris Allen unexpectedly taking the title. I promised myself that I wouldn't watch it this season, but then I happened to catch Adam Lambert and couldn't stop watching. Those eyes and that smirk, WOW, I was hooked! He reminds of a young Elvis -the jet black hair and the blue eyes and MAN, what a voice, even if he did scream a little. I found myself looking forward to AI, just to watch his performance and then watching all of his performances again and again on the AI site. My absolute favourites are Mad World, Born to be Wild and Feeling Good - the way he moves, god, he knows how to move. LOVE. IT. And when he plays to the camera with those blue, guy-linered eyes, I was SO pulled in. I couldn't believe myself. He's a really great performer, destined for great things. On the AI stage, he was in a league of his own.
LOL- reality check - isn't being single great - you can carry on like an idiot and you don't have to worry about bothering anyone or bullshit like that.
So anyway, life is normal. The mood in the last post passed without too much drama. Since then, I've had a few anxious moments, and been a bit crabby here and there, but on the whole, things are stable. Bit boring really, but good for me and the kids. And even ex is noticing. When I said that we'd go by ourselves to KL on the holidays and give him a few days of peace, he said there was no need, it wouldn't make a difference - that's a compliment if you didn't catch it. It means that things are stable and quiet and he's able to work.
Ex is doing quite well too. He's working, programming again and on his desk I even saw that he'd pulled out a programming book! Good for him. Lately, he's clearing out the shit in his head from the past. He's been using a method called EFT - Emotional Freedom Techniques. This method promises freedom from anxiety, negative thoughts, depression etc. The Wiki says: "EFT theorists claim that thinking upon disturbing memory or emotion and simultaneously tapping on a series of 12 specific pressure points on the body helps the person to free himself or herself from such disturbing thoughts through altering the body's energy field, thus restoring it to balance."
Some people say it works just because you distract yourself from all the negative thoughts in your head rather than because you actually restore your balance, but you know, if it helps him and us and he can let go of some of the anger that's built up, then it can only be a good thing. I'm not a total convert yet, but some of the theories about holding onto the past and what it does to you are good to listen to. There are lots of videos on youtube about it, so I've been watching those, listening to a different take on how we can rid ourselves of past angst.
The kids had exam week this week and were so excited by it all. Why? Because in exam week, there's no homework. So this weekend we are homework free. Ex is out of town, the English class has been cancelled because 2 of the kids can't make it (so it's not really worth it and I'll do a replacement in the holidays) so tomorrow the kids and I are going out for breakfast (roti canai and tea and sugar and dahl), then we're going on a shopping expediton. In Segamat, that's not really exciting but I've got a talent for making housework sound exciting if I have to, so the kids are looking forward to it. In the middle of the day, I get a break because the kids are at their beloved piano lesson and then it's cookie making time. So it's 2am now, I'd better get to bed. Reading all this back makes me realise that tomorrow could be a biggish day.
'Night
5 comments:
OK Jo I will be the first to bite.
“EFT theorists claim that thinking upon disturbing memory or emotion and simultaneously tapping on a series of 12 specific pressure points on the body.”
Now as someone who supports some alternative medicine theories I suspect this could work under some circumstances.
The secret is in fact that it would indeed need to be simultaneous to all 12 points. I.e. all 10 fingers and two toes used at the same time.
Perhaps it is the humor provided watching some potential believer attempting this that would provide the cure.
It sounds like the medical equivalent of twister.
On behalf of everyone keep smiling.
I think the main 'plus' about EFT is that it makes you think about letting the negative stuff go, which is what we both need to do. You bring the negative into focus and consciously let it go. While some people (perhaps yourself) are really good at doing that on their own, other people need a 'method' or some other practice to assist and that's essentially what this is. Eckhart Tolle's method involves mentally breaking away and observing the ego in action and then choosing not to identify with it - I did this and found it to be initially successful before I lapsed back into ego mode (I need more practice). My point is, if it works, do it. I don't care about the science behind it or even if there is any science behind it. What I do know is if we continue to carry around these horrible memories and poison ourselves with such toxic feelings, it will eventually affect our health and ultimately our children - which is exactly what we don't want.
Peace, health and happiness.
Give the treatment another go if you believe that it worked. Most things like this need more than one effort I suspect.
I do not know many Buddhists (five) in Melbourne however it is without exception that these five people seem to be at peace with everything (except the military junta in Burma). Although even they are pressed some days with their family life so they tell me.
There is a lot more out there than I have experienced and although I am not yet persuaded to try some things (Buddhism as an example) I have tried acupuncture and herbal treatment for muscular injuries.
The acupuncture treatment took longer to achieve a pain free existence than a single shot of cortisone. It did leave me pain free in the shoulder for 18 years. Cortisone would have only concealed the problem I suspect.
She (the “doctor”) also recommended acupuncture for stress relief which I have not tried and this may be the EFT equivalent.
The reason I raise this issue is that acupuncture has recently received a bad rap in the West of recent times. I note a report out of England did not infer this it stated “that acupuncture is no better than a placebo”.
I only know that I was happy with the acupuncture and herbal treatment the Chinese “doctor” gave me and yet totally unimpressed when the local physio attempted acupuncture. When the local guy said “let me know when it hurts” it placed his efforts in stark contrast to the treatment the Chinese “doctor” provided.
In short I believe that if it works for you there is value to be had.
Even shorter, some practitioners are more skilled than others.
You may not have got the pressure points exactly right.
Cheers to all
If acupuncture works, why can't this? EFT is supposed to tap into the same pressure points as acupuncture, though without the needles. It combines this with the power of the mind. I'm happy, even if the effect is placebo, as long as it works or does something to change the way the mind deals with negative emotions. The mind is very powerful- I know how it can drag me down to such a state where I can't even think straight. So now I'm looking at alternatives to help me go the other way - up. I figure there has to be a way out of this negative mind-set and I know that, regardless of how it came to be, that my mind is not operating at the level I want it to be.
My brother went and did a course on acupressure many years back.
He is happy with the results so who am I to dismiss it out of hand.
I still like the idea of 10 fingers and two toes working in harmony to achieve total success.
Post a Comment